HybridZ

SPEEDSHOPTHAGARD I/C *updated modded pics*

Looks Great!!!!! But, are you sure it's going to clear the hood?? It looks like it may be a little tight.

In that pic, it was just sitting on the valance. It will drop down another 1.5", and move rearward qnother 3 to 4".

James tril fit it on his Z, so I'm confident he made them work with the hood....

piifffft... needs to be bigger...

:roll:

:shock:

mike

*not fair :cry::(:cry::(:cry::(*

Hey' date=' I have to make up for my [i']short[/i]comings some how... :D

When you go thru life with the most important part of your package being to small, one trys to over compensate... :D

well sh!t what does that say for me? owning 2 turbo Z's and one thats got some pretty big ass wheels and a high HP motor...

so it cant be true cuz im hung like a king kong!

lol

but really nice unit... and yes i mean the intercooler!

mike

Joel is being too nice to me today :wink:

The front of the 260Z is a bit different than the 240Z. Actually, the space between the frame rails is significantly less in the front where the intercooler mounts. Although this core fit easily on my car there is some small clearance issues on the later 260Z. Not a big deal at all. The core was sent back to me and will be modded promptly with a new tank design based on the dimensions of the 260Z. I have to admit, this damn core is very impressive and for $650 I don't think you can beat the performance. Will keep you updated. BTW, there are no issues with hood clearance once the intercooler is lowered to the correct height.

Here is a drawing of how the tanks are to be modified.

tankmod.jpg

It really is an impressive unit!

I'll be checking the fit on my early 260Z today, hopefully. I hate taking my hood off by myself, especially now with new paint. I did notice one other issue with the 260Z, I.E. horn placement. It appears I'll need to relocate my horns to fit the IC in place. Bending the horn brackets over some may be an option. I'll know more later today upon trial fitment. Oh the price we pay for more power.

I don't believe you need to remove the hood as I did not when I performed the test fit. You will need to have the hood open. Better to get these issues resolved now and atleast with the new design is will fit in all 70-78Z without different tank versions. Yes, relocation of the horns will be necessary, but not that big of a deal in my opinion.

It appears I'll need to relocate my horns to fit the IC in place.

Can you take the horns and flip them upside down? That's what I did for my intercooler to fit. Take them off, flip them upside down, and put the right one on the left, and the left one on the right.

!M!

It appears I'll need to relocate my horns to fit the IC in place.

Can you take the horns and flip them upside down? That's what I did for my intercooler to fit. Take them off' date=' flip them upside down, and put the right one on the left, and the left one on the right.

!M![/quote']

I removed them all together. Im just gonna grab one off a later model car and mount it in a better place.

I would like to start out by saying I applaud James for doing this for the few that purchased this great IC. I'm thankful for guys like him that continue to make great products for our beloved Z's. I KNOW I will be happy with the performance of this IC throughout any and all upgrades I have planned in the future. I understand completely how custom parts sometimes have complications to work through. This is actually the first time I ever heard of a difference in the front frame rails between a 240 and an early 260. Considering the extent of work I have yet to do putting the rest of the Z back together, all the other custom work I have done and still need to do, this complication is trivial.

I didn't remove the hood as I stated I would, it's just all that new paint makes me real nervous. Being able to stand in the engine bay helped alot. :lol:

The horn brackets will need to be cut off to allow the IC to fall into place. Again, trivial. I'm just praying I don't fubar the paint job in the process. This will ofcourse wait for the skillful modifications to the IC that will be performed. Shipping it back may have to wait until next Friday. This work week is going to be a long one in a short period of time. :(

• 2 weeks later...

HOLY HUGE LUNG BATMAN ! :shock: Now your talkin,and "bar & plate" too ! Looks like you'll be fashioning up some nice aluminum flashing to get SOME air through the radiator now ,huh ? :-D

Very nice Joel(and James)....No boost worries with that badboy !

YIKES.....thats a big RAT too !lol :lol: ...........Vince