HybridZ

Dyno Results, Upgraded turbo Pics and others.....

Guest Peyman88zxt

Guest Peyman88zxt

Its been a while since I last posted on here. A month ago I finally took the car to the dyno to get it tuned. For one reason or another I had stayed with standard T3 exhaust wheel when I upgraded the compressor to a 60 trim wheel in a T4E 0.60A/R housing. The first run showed a 350ftlb and 300rwhp at 15 psi. The car was rich on the top end so as I leaned out some. We made more runs(9 pulls after) and in the end the car put down 330ftlb and 350rwhp at 19psi (AWD Mustang Dyno). My explaination for the lower torque number was the increasing inlet air temps as my intercooler and pipes were warming up. Those of you with the TechEdge wideband would be proud to know that my wideband readings were identical to the dyno wideband's readings.

A day after the dyno day my car started making howling noises out of the intake. Then it started blowing blue smoke and making metal scraping noises. I take look at the turbo and the thrust bearing was definitly shot as the shaft moved in and out about 1/8".

As you can see the shaft had moved enough to make the compressor wheel scrape on the housing.

compressorwheel1.jpg

compressorhousing.jpg

I sent the turbo back to Turbonetics and had them bore both housings to fit a 60-1 compressor and a stage III turbine wheel. $580 and 5 days later I had my turbo.

60-1stageIII2.jpg

machinedhousing.jpg

60-1stageIIImounted.jpg

While I was in there I drilled and tapped a hole in the manifold for an EGT probe.

EGTprobe.jpg

Gauges.jpg

Random shot of the enginebay.

redengineclean.jpg

I'll take it back to the dyno in a couple of weeks hoping for 400+rwhp.

Wow...some awesome numbers, shows the VG has incredible power potiential....love your new turbo!! Is you engine internally stock?

I can't believe the damage to your other turbo...did you get Turbonetics to cover any of the cost through a warranty???

Sweet Z31!

Hope the hear some new great numbers at the dyno. Good luck.

Yasin

Guest Peyman88zxt

Thanks for the props.

Its a low mileage jdm VG30et (8.3:1) that I got off of ebay for $500 shipped to my door. It had about 47K on it when I got it. It has about 65k on it now. It is fully stock. The old turbo was one and a half years old and was done by Majestic but their rebuild warranty is only good for 6 months. I think that turbo failed because of inherently bad match-up of the turbine and compressor. That exhaust wheels was too small and restrictive. It most probably spun at speeds it had no business doing and wore out the thrust bearing. This time around I asked turbonetics to fit a 360" thrust bearing as well. All in all this one should outlast the engine. VG30's usually hold 400rwhp for a while as long as you don't abuse them too much. When/If it goes down, forged internals will replace the stockers.

Guest Peyman88zxt

Well the new one is definitly a 60-1. Turbonetics had to shave off some material out of the housing to fit the 60-1, so...... Maybe the 60trim wheel has 7 blades too, or maybe there was a misunderstanding last time that I upgraded my turbo. I don't have the old wheel to measure and make sure so, don't know....

The Tech Egde is a great WB02.I used the dattalogging feature on my last trip to the dyno and it matched the dyno`s LSM WB.A couple of weeks ago I talked to a represenative from what was EMS fuel injection http://www.fuel-injection.com/products.htm

http://www.ptrsds.com/ems_stinger_4424.htm

http://www.cbperformance.com/ will be selling an upgraded version of the 4424 system , but they were insistant on a cheaper WB02 being used.I offered up my dyno charts and the Tech Edge dattalogging readouts as proof of the LSU`s sensors accuracy.The rep took the info back to Austraila and I was told some results should be forthcoming in a couple of weeks.The price of the upgraded 4424 sytem should be less than posted above due to the cheaper 02 sensor.When I receive my system I will post features and cost if you would like.

Guest Peyman88zxt
I hope you have good luck with Turbonetics' date=' I wouldn't use them personally.

I am currious, where did all the metal go from the wheel to housing contact? :shock:

You may want to check out the intercooler and see if you can backflush it or something.[/quote']

Well, they turned into very small shavings that probably went through the whole system. Its aluminum and a few weeks after, the car is doing fine and hasn't lost any compression.