HybridZ

Stupid stupid questions??

Okay, I am putting the finishing touches on my 355 build up. This is the first chevy Ive built so I am running into a stupid little problem. The cam design is different than a ford and I am kind of lost.

1. What holds the cam in from the front? I assumed that there would be a plate that bolts to the front of the block but there are no bolt holes, only 3 oil channels.

2. What is the plug that holds the cam from the back of the engine called? I need to pick on up but no one really knows what Im talking about.

I have a reabuild manual but it doesnt cover either of these points? In short I guess I need to know what to do to install the camshaft. I really dont want to leave anything out.

Thanks for answering a very stupid question.

Okay, from my looking around the web it would seem that there is nothing up front that holds the cam in place? is the cam cut on an angle to keep the cam pressed to the rear of the engine? Even so, I still need to know the name of the plug looking thing that goes in the rear of the engine.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

I guess I would call it a cam plug!!! or maybe some would call it a freeze plug or expansion plug. Usually brass, sometimes steel. I would recomment Brass. Usually driven in with a large socket and hammer. Some put a small amount of sealer, but it's probably wiped off in the process of pressing in. The sealer is just a bit of insurance.

HTH

Cheers

Carroll

Hydraulic roller cams (or mechanical for that matter) require some sort of retainer or thrust control. On OEM rollers, the block is machined for a retainer. On aftermarket setups, a thrust washer behind a modified timing chain, and a "button" (either roller bearing or just nylon/bronze) clearanced to the timing chain cover. On a flat tappet cam, the curved surface of the bottom of the lifters naturally keeps the cam from walking fore and aft.I think this is the case on non-roller cam fords as well, but I don't remember...

Carroll is correct on cam journal plug. Use sealer in case hole or plug is not perfectly concentric. Usually this is installed by the machine shop when they do cam bearings and the other freeze plugs.

What holds the cam in from the front?

while nothing NEEDS to be installed on NON-roller cams in a sbc useing a flat tappet cam,BECAUSE the lobes are cut at a very slight angle that TENDS to force the cam toward the back of the block installing a CAM BUTTON MATCHED TO A CORRECTLY SET UP TIMEING SET is the CORRECT SOLUTION that STABILIZES the CAMSHAFT POSITION FORE AND AFT IN THE BLOCK

2209200_1_3.jpg

27011984.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=3277&prmenbr=361

What is the plug that holds the cam from the back of the engine called?

GM PART # 10241154

GM LIST: $2.08

DESCRIPTION: PLUG-CAMS