HybridZ

Pics of my 240z taillight restoration - these came out nice!

Hugh

This is an update to my Novus plastic polish thread. I wanted to put up pics for you guys to see what I did.

DSC00755.JPG

DSC00756.JPG

DSC00757.JPG

DSC00758.JPG

DSC00759.JPG

DSC00760.JPG

DSC00761.JPG

DSC00762.JPG

I just wanted to make sure you guys knew about this stuff, its a great product, and has worked wonders for me.

http://store.yahoo.com/plastic-polish/

You get the three step kit, and use it according to directions. It takes some elbow grease, but in the end... your plastic materials (all the lights and such) come out looking like freaking new!

Instead of buying a brand new set of tail lights for my car, I bought some used ones with no cracks and with the Novus will make them look nearly new.

My wife drives a Miata with the plastic clear headlights on it. Her's were all yellow and scratched to the point where I was looking for new ones. (expensive) I heard about Novus from the Miata guys and got it. I put it to work, and her lights look brand new from about three feet away. The beams are brighter and everything.

I'm not a dealer or anything, I just like to pass along good info when I can. :)

That looks really nice.

For all the lights on my car, I used a buffing wheel on a bench grinder and plain old wax metal/plastic polish. Only took a few minutes to polish one light, dunno if it'll hold up, but it worked for me.

Its not like a wax. It's actually smoothing out the entire surface of the plastic. The job I did on my wife's headlights still looks great after several months.

I realize there's easier ways to make them look good, but this returns great permanent results.

Yeah, it is not a wax at all. I've used the stuff before and it is great. It is actually polish with a grit in it. So it is kind of like super water sanding something. It is what is used on lexan canopies for airplanes. A budy of mine worked on Harriers in the service and use the same polish. Nice work by the way, those came out awesome.

I polished the other one last night. My forearms are a little worked from it, but its worth it in the end. The second one has more deep scratches on it, but still very un-noticable from even two or three feet away. When they're on the car, you won't be able to tell anything is wrong with them.

Quick question 1BAD, what did you use to break the foam/glue seal to pull the lenses and clean the insides? Is there a solvent or something that won't harm the plastic but will soften up that junk? I cracked one of mine when i was dismantling them :(

When I cleaned my tail lights I put a couple coats of clear on them as to fill in all the scratches, they are NOT as clean looking as yours but it was a freebe if you have some clear spray inyour garage.

Ahh... some clear spray is a nice idea! Just to protect the surface even more, now that its smoothed out.

To seperate them, I ran them under hot water in the bathtub and filled them up. Once the hot water soaks in for a minute, you can pull them right apart without a hitch! (the glue comes off like mozzarella cheese)