HybridZ

I DO have a problem now.. PICS!!! evil Z hates me!!!!!

Guest ON3GO

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well after breaking 2 allen head sockets all i could do was just re tighen 2 bolts :(.

sears has no more sockets, o'riellys ones kept breaken and etc etc etc...

so i put it back together, and tried to start it and car has no power at all.

missing bad, and its got a leak some place.

i check all the piping and and cant find a thing wrong with it.

BUT i got a nice MIG welder so im gonna re do my intercooler piping this weekend.

ill post pics soon i hope.

mike

Mike, what I did for a head bolt removal tool was to buy the correct size allen wrench and then use a 3" grinder with a cutoff weel and cut the "L" shape off. Then youu take a 1/2" drive socket and put the two together to make the correct tool. I guess you could weld them together if you wanted but, that would proubly take the heat treatment out of them.

well i ordered a Snap On one today, hope it works out for me.

anyways heres a few things i did..

i cleaned ALL the plugs very good, and they looked BRAND NEW.

i started it up and let it idle, JUST idle for about 5mins till it warmed up.

then shut it down and took the plugs out and checked them.

i got the bright idea to take pics after abit so the oil off the plugs sorta dried up abit, but heres what all of them look like.

full_849_p27636.jpg

849_p27637.jpg

nice work space huh lol

849_p27639.jpg

mike

Guest bastaad525

yick.... that's pretty bad...

well... common sense would say turbo seal, but you'd definately see some oil residue in your pipes or I/C I would think if that was it. Also, with the turbo seal I wouldn't expect much if any oil to get by when just idling, rather I'd expect to get a lot of smoke and oil building on the plugs when and after driving hard. It could just be a uniformly tired engine. How many miles does the engine have on it or do you know what condition it was in when you got it? Again, don't rely on compression checks as I had worn rings, evenly worn out on all six with oil showing on all six plugs, though checking compression several times I got results that would make you think the motor was damn near new, all six cylinder compressing high and even. A leakdown test might give you a better idea of what's REALLY going on with the engine.

motor has alot of miles but it was putting down great power and running DAMN strong. im sure the motor itself is fine.

there was a quarter size oil drip in one of the intercooler pipes but nothing bad at all.

turbo could be very well shot, but i dunno really.

it was bearly idleing last night.. need to get plugs again (4th set now in a few months) and see what it does then.

mike

Guest bastaad525

Running strong doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with the motor. My motor put down nearly 200rwhp before I replaced the piston rings, when they were bad and the motor was puffing smoke like crazy. When I replaced the rings the smoke stopped and the motor put down the same amount of power.... go figure. Someone suggested that it may have only been the oil control rings that were bad, and the friend who helped me replace the rings said the compression rings looked 'near new' to him. I've also heard 'theories' that worn rings don't impact performance as badly on a turbocharged car... the turbo kinda 'covers it up' you know?

A quarter size drip doesn't seem good to me... I never see any more than just a light filmy coating of oil on my pipes, if you're getting drops in there than that points even more at a bad turbo seal.

well problems

broke a few head bolts off into the block... :(

so head studs it is and headgasket it is..

thanks to vince and joel for helping me out on this...

and chris ill call ya tomorrow lol.

damn Z car.

mike

ill post pics in abit, right now im taken the head off.

3 bolts broke in the block.

there was RUST all over them, one was like red red RED in rust.

and one had like sludge all over it.

2 walked the threads right off.

BIG mess.

theres a hint of fuel in the oil also.

pics in about 2 hours

mike

ok here ya guys go..

the pics..

the gunky one..

849_p28527.jpg

the gungy one and one that broke (rusty)

849_p28528.jpg

Non rusted one to a rusted one

849_p28529.jpg

close up

849_p28530.jpg

me doing work to the car lol

849_p28531.jpg

sad day for me

mike

Hey Mike, were those bolts from the two rear pistons area? Just curious because every time I've replaced a head gasket on my zx's, a couple of the rear bolts always had water or a lot of oil on them.

Also, make sure to not clean spark plugs with a wire brush or any metal type of blasting media. It will get imbedded in the ceramic and ruin the plugs. This can cause the plugs to completely short out and not spark. Better to just get new ones.

BTW, I just replaced my intake/exhaust manifold gasket with a stock one from Nissan. The crappy felpro only lasted a few months and blew out in several places. Man it sounds nice with no leaks (once again) and with the new exhaust my friend's friend made from the cat back, it sounds wicked. :twisted: Another friend, Hoyt, made some cool block-off plates for the egr and aac, so absolutely no vacumm leaks anymore. Runs like a champ. Maybe I'll make it to the track again soon.

Maybe I'll make it to the track again soon.

a crazy bird flew to me tonight and told me i wont be making it there for awhile.

lol

the 2 bolts in the back near the battery on the cold side broke and one on the hot side by the 4th injector.

mike

Guest bastaad525

Wow man like Deja Vu here.... it's all coming back to me...

If it were me (and at one point it was), I'd look at just getting the entire engine rebuilt at this point, otherwise you may just end up chasing problem after problem (as I did). I'm betting your rings are the culprit for the smoke and oil, and the fuel in the oil, and if you do anything to the head like resurfacing it the problem will only get worse (as it did in my case). It's not the best way to go but since you already have the head off, you could even replace your rings and bearings with the block in the car (as I did, which is working out great for me, motor runs great, and only cost me like $200 or $300 in parts).

Guest bastaad525

well then I hope you don't end up following in my path, or your Z following my Z's path, I should say... I too was just doing what I could with the money I had (not much), and it sucked me dry, every spare penny, for the better part of a year. I pray for your rings, dude :D