HybridZ

Wet Komperssor Z Project (Updated) Dry

SHO-Z

I am now starting my wet supercharged 260Z project. I bought an Eaton M62 Supercharger for a Mercedes SLK230 off of Ebay. It has an electric clutch like on an air conditioner compressor. This way I can run it when I want POWER or let it free wheel. A bypass with check valve is being considered. The carburetion will be an Edelbrock 600 CFM 4 barrel. The plan is for about 7 to 8 psi of boost which should give around a 40 to 45% HP gain on the stock 280 motor. With unkown milage on the motor I hope it doesn't blow up!

Here is a picture of a TR6 with a similar set up. From his email he has not had any problem using the supercharger wet, evan with the end needle bearings being grease packed.

normal_super%202.JPG

This has been done before on a Datsun.

http://www.ozdat.com/ozdatonline/featurecars/GlennL/supercharged.html

Still to be decided is the intake design, use a box section like the TR6, use a 280 FI manifold or fabricate a pipe manifold using the existing carb manifold. I have some concerns about excess manifold volume. Intercooling might be tried later if this works out.

If you are staying at that sort of PSI you wont need to sacrifice the extra air volume associated with an intercooler.

Would make instalation and response easier/better too. With this setup Im guessing you are not after peak power but torque right at the start, so maybe intercooling would not be the go if this is your aim and boost is kept low.

I was thinking about supercharging my 280 and using one of the Gen 4 Eaton M90's that have a bypass built in for fuel economy when cruising, but I wanted to keep my air con and it was all getting a bit hard. So Im working on a t3/t4e.

I found a 240z supercharged Z in NY on the internet. Here is a video link of him showing off his hp with 5 psi of boost on a 280zx turbo motor. It does look like fun to have the HP!

http://www.zccr.net/site/modules.php?set_albumName=album26&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=2

• 4 weeks later...

Well there was a change of plans today. Went out to buy a 5-speed for the Z and came home with a 5 speed and a set of triple SK racing carbs and manifold. Couldn't pass them up for $100. So will go to blow through forced induction. From my Weber book it will work. Will still have a check valve on a second air filter so supercharger does not have to run all of the time.

8)

• 2 weeks later...