HybridZ

lsd woes

PUSHER

Sob story: About a month ago i took apart my rear end, I then tried to order an lsd for it. I first tried for a powerbrute lsd, but they have stopped making r200 10mm lsds. I then tried a nismo r200 10mm lsd from raretrick and courtesy nissan, they discontinued those. Bitter about having an old car I put my open differential back in, promising myself I would sell this rustbucket and get something newer with aftermarket. When I put it all together and test drove it, I sort of realized why I put up with this crap and I intend to continue the quest of getting an lsd.

So, I have a 76 280z with an r200 diff with 10mm bolts.

What do I need to do to get an lsd?

Is my only option to get a z31 turbo diff? what axles?

Is it at all possible to put a lsd unit in my r200?

Is it possible to swap in a 240sx differential? what axles?

Id like to keep the total under 1k$ so no quaife or super swaps.

Also, im a differential noob so when you start talking about shims and backlash spacing or whatever you kinda confuse me, so go easy on the tech speak. Thank you very much.

It seems your having trouble with this differential stuff like I did when I first started. So...

Please go to this link at HowStuffWorks.com Click here This will let you know what parts are what and what they do inside of a differential.

Okay, now back to your questions:

Here, I went through this a while ago. Look here.

FYI, in that thread, I wanted to run different gears than the 3.70's that normally come with the clutch type differential. This is what I bought:

-R200 (3.54) from a '78 280Z ($80)

-Clutch type carrier from a '87-'89 300ZX ($350? I can't remember)

The R200 that we both have has 10mm ring gear bolts and sleeves have to be made to make the clutch type carrier fit the ring gear.

This is just what I did. You can also get a R200 out of a later Z that has the 12mm ring gear bolts to make things easier on you. I also upgraded to CV's while I was at it.

For your other questions, SEARCH :wink:

!M!

All you need to do is buy the 12mm carrier, make some ring gear bolt spacers, remove the open carrier and swap the ring gear from the old carrier to the new LSD carrier. Use the ring gear bolt spacers, and put it back together with the shims and everything put back in the way it came out.

This is really not a big deal. If you can't handle getting the 12mm OD 10mm ID tube and cutting it, buy the carrier and go to a machine shop and have them buy the tube for you and cut it and put it in.

If you want a different gear ratio, then the easiest thing to do is to find the ratio you want, then figure out what Nissan car came with it, buy a diff from that car and put the LSD in that diff. For instance, I wanted 4.11's. I had a 300ZXT diff which has the 12mm bolts that had 3.70's. I bought a 4.11 diff that came out of a 200SXT. It had 10mm bolts. I used bolt spacers. No big deal. What you don't want to do is switch the GEARS from one diff to another.

Mat is right. Search and you can easily find info on which ratios came in which cars, pictures of the insides of the LSD, posts on the bolt spacers, etc, etc.

Ive helped install an lsd on a friends 240sx, although I didnt really help when he swapped the gear to the lsd unit. The problem is, that I sometimes get inconsistent information that throws me off. Anyhow, If you have any pictures of what this spacer stuff is id appreciate it. Im picturing a threaded tube with threading on the outside, so i would cut up pieces of that. Id then put the 10mm bolt through the gear, then put the threaded tubing on, then tighten that to the 12mm lsd? If thats completely wrong i might need a crappy ms paint picture. I appreciate the help.

I didn't take pictures of my spacers. They are literally TUBE. Think like roll bar tubing, but a lot smaller. No threads at all. Just tubing. The carrier has no threads in it, so there is nothing for the spacer to thread into. The tube just takes up space, that's it. The bolt goes through the carrier and threads into the ring gear. I think that's why you weren't getting it right there. The bolts tighten into the ring gear.

Theoretically the spacers aren't technically necessary, but they help to align the bolts so that they aren't cocked to one side when you put them in, and they might help if the ring gear decided to try and move on the carrier.

I would always use them, I'm just saying that they are more of a place holder than anything else.

• 3 weeks later...