HybridZ

Question for the Gearheads

Drftn280zxt

Wow I don't think I have ever seen those pics of 240zTurbo's engine. Pretty nice. I like it except for the NOS. To me that says he wasn't satisfied with what the engine was putting out alone. Thanks for mentioning that. After reading up on him he saounds kinda like me, a stubborn one that wants it his way. (I'll probably get a lot of inspiration and help from his creation).

I agree 5% all around is better than higher rpms. High RPMS only hurts the engine more. There's a reason why its called a redline. At that point you could be doing more damage than gaining a benefit in power. Sure you gotta love the sound of high rpm but earlier power is more desirable. I'm lookin for a good midrange powerband 3k-5k (rpms). Sure with all the add ons my redline will probably move up a little. TO maybe 6k-6.5k (rpms).

If and when the day comes to build the engine I think electronics (mostly wiring) is where I'll get screwed up. I get kinda confused with that stuff. Trying to wire up my friends car didn't go well for me. He did 99% of the wiring because I didn't have the slightest clue as to where anything went. Thats my weak spot. (explains why I'm going for a mechanical engineering degree and not an electronic type of degree).

All I have to say is this is a great site containing invaluble information... but I would seriously recommend(in fact I insist) you read about what you are proposing. I mean I'm only 19, but I still know how to use the search function. And remember its great to dream but please be resonable and I think the reading will help you see the reason.

recommended reading topics to start off with...

-Stroker engine

-ignition systems(since you have never heard of them distributorless ignition will probably interest you)

-fuel delivery (mostly fuel injection systems since your interested in turbos)

-aftermarket engine management systems

-turbochargers

-single turbo engines

-twin turbo engines

-engine mechanics (not necissarily the L series engine)

--rod/stroke ratio

--bore/stroke ratio

--camshafts

--cylinder head designs

--and more...

look for posts made by grumpyvette(I think that is his name) he usually posts a bunch of links mostly about V8 engines but the above basic consepts still apply.

(note topics not in any particular order)

not that all of this reading is a requirement to use this site, it just makes us sound a little... less... uninformed, which makes the site a better place.

I really hope I did not discourage or offend you in any way, shape, or form... I'm really just trying to help if you are really interested in this stuff.

eric

oh and I don't really know about that whole two turbos of different sizes thing, seems to me like when you finally spool up the larger turbo you will be blowing a good amount of your air out of the smaller turbo which can't cope with the higher PSI. That doesn't sound very healthy or efficient(but like I said I don't really know).

eric

No offense taken. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll start looking more detailed into those things. A little enthomethodolgy (sociology term meaning disrupting the norms to understand the norms) shows me that asking the source (you guys) on this site isn't always the best way to go. First search, then ask is waht I've found. Please don't think I'm stupid, but rather different people think different ways. To the search I go. The search can be a little exhuasting though because sometimes you receive 100's of posts all of which are good, and reading them could take a long time. A little discouraging when you can just ask again, w/o hunting. I'll try to be as patient as possible with though. I guess I don't like digging :oops: very much! Crap :( !

Wow

You guys arn't being too nice here. The kid has an idea... let him try it. Just because it's not typical or normal doesn't mean it wont' work. Many people have bashed my ideas on this foum before, yet i'm the only one that went out and did something. Now everybody wants my electric wipers.

without trying new things how can anybody learn what might work? You think Edison invented the lightbult his first try?

Yes i do think his ideas are a little crazy, but hey.. they're his ideas, and if he has the money to back it I think it would be freakn' sweet to see a sequential twin turbo l28.

As for the turbo comments... anybody ever heard of Porsche? their twin turbos are sequential for a reason, small for low power, big for top end.

Driftn'... you really should think before you speak on here though, you'll get alot more respect. I'd be ashame for people to think of you as a ricer.

As for the turbo comments... anybody ever heard of Porsche? their twin turbos are sequential for a reason' date=' small for low power, big for top end.

[/quote']

yeah, your right, I did some more reading about sequential turbocharging. they use valves to cut off the smaller turbo after a certian rpm. Isn't it true that alot of people get rid of the sequential set up for more top end power (I thought I read something like that). But, I agree a sequential twin turbo z would be neat.

Eric