HybridZ

L28 complaints.

Gollum

Well, as some know, i started working on my Z this last weekend. I spent half my day today thinking of ways to design a better EFI system for this thing. And i really think that whoever designed the EFI in these cars had never accually worked on a car themselves. Seriouslly. I felt like i was working on a 80's Jaguar engine.

So, does anyone else have some mager complaints about the L28 latout like me? Please, share your anger.

I took great pleasure in ripping off that offensive piece of crap system and throwing it across the shop. Bolted on a set of 72' SU's and haven't looked back. :lol: As I lifted out the FI intake, I actually said to my friend 'See, now we take this, and throw it away.' :twisted: Come to think of it.. it's still sitting on the floor where I left it 3 months ago.. :oops: I love how they made evrything extremly complex, with multiple failing points all over the place.. (relays controled by temp switches, dual pickup dizzy reliant on temp swith/relay/ MESS of wiring.. ect) and it's all hard to diagnos. I fought with that god awefull system (75 280z) for a month, still wouldn't run properly, and then gave up and started welding/doing body work for the next 6 months.. during the course of which I discovered the solution: Get rid of it all! :lol: I wish you luck man.. abandon all hope ye who enter the Z FI system...

Anyone else have the crank pulley key break due to quick reving and the high load that is caused by power steering pump, a/c compressor, etc? This happened to me ones taking off in my 280zx GL, and when I bought my L28-ET engine it came with a broken key. Usually happens if the crank pulley bolt gets loose. I think it's more likely to happen on the 280zx GL or turbo model with all the accessories.

Also the other thing that sucks is that the exhaust studs on the ends break easily.

Other than that the electronics and rest have been good to me. My 280ZX GL has that problem where if the TPS gets wet it makes it so the car can't rev past 3K rpms.

well, half of my issues with the system is that it's poorly laid out. It's just plain idiotic to have the metal fuel lines covering the injectors so you would have to tear apart the whole FI system just to work on them. Lots of things like that i look at and think "they did this why?"

Oh i'm sure it's stable, and i'm sure it's reliable. But is it easy to work on? No. Is it easy to work around? No. Is it easy to design a better layout? Yes.