HybridZ

Anyone interested in a Carbon Fiber Cowl induction hood?

Guest 240ZZ4

I guess I should update you folks...

Last week I approved the plug and Benchmark Compsites is making the mold. It should be done this week and I'm going to have a hood built immediately. Stan and I talked about pricing and we won't be able to hit my $500 target for a fiberglass hood with a stock inner mounting frame and a layer of CF on top for two reasons:

1. The original idea of having the whole top of the hood covered with CF won't work at that price point because the hood width (including the scoop contours) is greater then 48" so two sheets of CF are needed with the additional work to layup a clean seam.

2. Adding the inner frame (so you cna use the stock hinges and hood latch) requires a few hours of additional work to reinforce the hood where the frame passes under the scoop.

So, we should be able to hit the $500 price target with a pin on fiberglass hood that has a layer of CF over the whole cowl scoop area and the rest primed for paint. A similar look to this:

cfhood2.jpg

FYI... I will also offer a fiberglass only hood for less money and a full CF hood for more. The inner OEM mounting frame will also be offered as an option along with Nomex honeycomb and my other hood options.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JAMIE T

I can vouch for the quality of the Beta Motorsports Carbon/Nomex hood. I have one for my RB26-Z. It is very high quality and so stiff, I have wanted to jump up and down on it, but have refrianed myself. It's unbelievably light also.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Benchmark and the mold is all done. Stan will make a hood and I should have it next week. I'll take some pictures, post them on my web site, and update this thread.

We will hit our $500 price target but that will be for a pin on race fiberglass hood with clear Gelcoated carbon fiber over the scoop and the rest of the hood in primer.

FYI... Carbon Fiber pricing is expected to be over $20 per yard by this summer. That's double what it was last year. Stan's suppliers are blaming the huge increases in defense spending and the volumes of CF that Airbus is buying to make the 380.

How much for shiping to 91326?

How muhc for shipping on 2?

I want one

Just got back from Benchmark and the mold is all done. Stan will make a hood and I should have it next week. I'll take some pictures' date=' post them on my web site, and update this thread.

We will hit our $500 price target but that will be for a pin on race fiberglass hood with clear Gelcoated carbon fiber over the scoop and the rest of the hood in primer.

FYI... Carbon Fiber pricing is expected to be over $20 per yard by this summer. That's double what it was last year. Stan's suppliers are blaming the huge increases in defense spending and the volumes of CF that Airbus is buying to make the 380.[/quote']

• 2 weeks later...