HybridZ

No Clutch

Dead Roman

Bare with me i'm mechanically inclined enough to do anything i just dont have the knowledge to diagnose problems yet. The problem i have is my clutch went totally limp today at the end of a long trip. Theres enough pressure to push the pedal back up but just BARELY enough to open the clutch so i can get the cvar in gear. Once the car is in gear there is no clutch slippage at all, just no pedal. Low on fluid? this is a stupid question but where do i put more fluid in, whats considered low? (please dont flame me this is an embarrassing post)

The clutch master is next to the brake master cylinder inside the driver's side inspection cover. It's the one that is smaller and only has one cap on it.

It sounds like you are losing pressure somewhere. Luckily this system is pretty easy to diagnose. Usually it is the slave cylinder on the side of the block that pushes on the fork that goes bad. You can crawl under the car and pull the boot back. If fluid leaks out then your slave is definitely bad. It could also be leaking from the rubber hose that connects the hard line to the slave. This black rubber line is basically just like a brake line. They do rot after a while and it is possible that it ruptured. Should be easy to tell if this is the case, just look for a leak. Finally you've got the clutch master cylinder itself. If it leaks it leaks on the inside where it bolts into the firewall above the pedals. Same thing as the slave here, pull the boot and see if it pukes fluid.

I'd bet that it is the master or slave, and not the soft line, but all 3 are suspect.

Most people including me like to replace the master cylinder and the slave together, because usually they go in pairs, and if you replace the one the other is bound to go out.

Most people including me like to replace the master cylinder and the slave together' date=' because usually they go in pairs, and if you replace the one the other is bound to go out.[/quote']

Very good point. If one fails the other will soon fail even if it's not the proublem right now. I think this is mostly due to the new pressures involved with the new componet.

I ordered the new parts last night, and im in the process of getting the old junk off right now. i went ahead and bought the clutch master and slave cylinders and the rubber hose. AIs there anything i need to know about taking those off and installing new parts? ive never messed with clutch parts before.

Like said above, the clutch workes pretty much like the brakes. You just have to get all the air out after the new parts/lines are instaled. I've never done a Z, but lots of other models/makes and it's just like bleeding brakes.. just make sure the car's suported well, and the friend helping you understands what has to be done. It can get really frustrating when you're under the car, and the guy pushing the clutch pedel keeps pumping as you try to open the bleeder screw. :evil::!::roll: