HybridZ

T5 or 700r4

I am about to ask a totally open ended, opinion based question. I can't decide whether to go manual or auto. I plan on driving daily, with about 300 hp. I can't afford a T56, have a TH350 in the garage but understand the gear ratio problem. Should I go manual or auto. I like the sportyness of a standard, an auto is nice for daily driving....Send opinions please. I am also not having much luck locating a T5...

Dazed and confused..

Welcome to my world! I was in the very same boat your in. I decided to go with the 700R4 but only because I will be pushing 450hp. An ordinary T-5 should handle 300HP. If I were you though I would spend some time looking for a World Class T-5. They came on the later model 3ed generation camaros and firebirds equipped with a 350.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you decide to up the HP down the road the T-5 could be your limiting factor!

Guest Anonymous

Something else to think about. Is your daily driving city or highway? Maybe it sounds whimpy, but if you have to hold the clutch for lots of stop & go,an automatic might get the nod.

Some will say the auromatic can shift faster for drag racing. Lot of flaming here I'm sure!!! Ha.

Some will say that the automatic is a little easier on the drivetrain due to shock loads.

It is a "Sports" car, so shifting is paart of that deal, soooooooooo

Of course it's your decision, just 02c worth.

Cheers

Carroll

This sounds very familiar...I spent alot of time thinking this through. I've got a T-5 in my 327 and love it, but I did consider going with a 2004R (similar to 700R4 but lighter and with better gearing IMO) and run this with a manual shift kit so I'd have to still shift. The upside to the auto is that it can give you lightning-fast shifts(G-G-G-Gone!). The 'auto' part of it has no benefit to a sports car through the twisties, however. So you must ask yourself, what is going to make me smile more - getting out of the hole in a hurry or having the 'in control' feel of a manual as you carve through the corners? You'll always wonder about the choice you didn't go with, unless you can drive both types of car beforehand...

Heavy Z

You guys are all over the place! Would somebody make a decision for me! ;) The auto would be better for daily driving cuz I do get in traffic everyday. I only lean towards the 5 speed for having the control of being in just the right gear/rpm range when that Honda pulls up. Nothing worse than an auto that shifts too early.

I just don't know!

i recently changed from a th350 to 700r4 and have enjoyed the change on the highway,but the th350 wasnt bad either.i have autocrossed for years with the automatic rather successfully i might add,and believe me,you want to be holding on with both hands when you drive a v8 Z hard through twisties.the only downsides IMHO to the auto are weight and drivetrain losses,both of which are fairly unnoticeable in a Z.The smile factor may be higher with the standard,but the honda aint got a chance either way.good luck on your project. :D

Guest Glenn Parker

I would go with a WC T-5 . They shift smooth and are plenty strong if you don't abuse them. On the other hand if your 17 and every stop light is a matter of personal respect nothing will survive. I'm running 350 hp 400ft.of torque. the car is only 2500 lbs as opposed to 3500 in Camaro. I think that this probably reduces stress on the drive train. the T-5 fits in great( JTR postion) the hydr. clutch is easy and smooth. Of equal importance is to run a 3.54 or 3.36 rear gear. For me building the car so all these parts work well together is really the fun part.The great roll-on speed is not bad either.

For me it was a non-issue. Being a control freak I had to have stick. Plus with all that pent up energy I need something for my left leg to do.

The T5 has a lot of plus's in my book: smooth shifting, light weight, nice gear spacing. With the 7/8" master and Camaro slave the clutch action is light and proportional.

Many here have ragged on it for not holding up to high hp and/or abuse. This is also not an issue for me. I'm only running about 250hp and 300lb/ft trq. And I don't plan on beating it up. However, few have mentioned that this tranny can be signicantly beefed up with a few aftermarket internals.

Yes, the T56 is strong as an ox. But it also weighs like one. More notchiness in the shifter, and in a light car like the Z it's really more like a 5 speed with two first gears, low and way low.

I'm I biased? Yup. Hey, you wanted OPINIONS. cuss.gif

I wish I was 17 again (32)...."If I knew then what I know now....." This is great, I think you guys have split the decision about 50/50. I don't feel so bad about not making up my mind anymore. Keep the opinions rolling. One will finally convince me (or, someone just send me a tranny with a bill attached and I will put it in)

Jeff bonk.gif

With this adapter you can use a supra turbo r154 transmission http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_gmax15.htm

They are stronger than any t5 and weighs 45,5 kg = 100 pounds compared to t5 80 pounds. This hydraulic bellhousing conversion is also available but might be a bit expensive web page

But it has the same problem as the t5 the 1 st gear is way too low compared to a t56.

Jens,

I didnt see a adapter for the toyota box in there. I have had a bit of mail asking how mine works and where I got the parts from. I bought the car as is so I dont really know. Do you know of any other northern hemishere toyota adapters?

Btw, I would have a manual trans any day. To many corners around here.

Douglas

I have a 1982 280ZX With a Turbo 400. When I got the car it had a 3.54 rearend. When I was turning 3000 RPM I was doing 60 MPH. I installed a 3.36 rearend and gained about 4 MPH. A r700 would give you another gear and better highway speed and gas mileage. I was unhappy with the low gear untl after I has drove the car for a while. I like the feeling of going down the highway, tromping the foot feed and geing pushed back into the seat.

Nuts to the gas mileage, for me, I only drive my car in fair weather and when I feel like it anyway. I do wish it was a standard trans, I like to shift gears.

Http://www.waskomtexas.com/zcar

Guest Anonymous

ok I am new here but I had to respond. I have a 72 240 and I recently put a 350 and 700R4 in it that came out of my 70 nova that a tree fell on (which is why I had the motor) I thought I would hate the auto in the car but after a week or so I am not sure that given a choice I would not do it again. cruising around town and even freeway driving it was so pleasent to drive and there was no drama and it always seemed so effortless.

so I would have to say it depends on what you want to do with the car. for me my car is a cruiser and until I build my next one (ls6 and t56 combo) I will stick with the automatic because it is so pleasurable to drive and effortless to drive away from almost anyone I come in contact with.

just my .02

In the first hybrid 240Z I had a 360-370 horsepower 355 sbc and used the 700R4. Bought car "already done" so I moved engine way back (not JTR) and replaced the 350 auto with the 700R4. Then rewired to JTR book...took out all the coolers/relays/selenoids etc that were patches. The 700R4 had a lockup modification by Darryl Young so it locked instantly going into 4th and did not lock in lower gear. I drove it 4 years as my daily driver. Great combination...was a IROC trans and shifted WOT at 5800 very solidly due to valving differences. Never had problem with car, as reliable as wife's Camry. So....why am I building my second with a T5? john