HybridZ

is my car smog exempt?

JaysZ

Texas tests emissions on vehicles from 2-24 years,all vehicles 96 and above get the computer test and safety test where they just plug in to your computer and make sure all the emissions equiptment has not set off a code. 95 and below get tested on the idle and dyno. Also it depends on which county your in, if your'e in the DFW area then you are exempt.

Check out this site for more info http://mysite.verizon.net/res0pda6/id33.html

http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/air/ms/vim.html

thanks all for the replies. the 1st link sumo provided pointed me in the right direction. it said if the vehicle is 2-24 years of age in certain counties (mine is harris) then it would not be exempt. i just did some simple math and my car is 26 years old! yay! thanks!

i just did some simple math and my car is 26 years old! yay! thanks!

Just like my 78 Trans Am all it needs is a safety sticker. Although when it used to be tested, it would smoke like crazy and fill the whole bay with smoke (was parked for a while) and the funny thing is it passed the nox and co but if they ever tested me for visible pollutants they might arrest me. :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

My car is a 77 and all they did to test my car was perform a safety check (seatbelts, lights, wipers) and then they drove it to test the brakes. They also made me start up the engine with the hood open and they just kinda snooped around the hood. Total cost: $13

BTW: why does your 78 have SU's?!?!