HybridZ

new update on my ole blue engine problems...pics

Guest ON3GO

well got everything apart and found out alot of "problems"

head gasket was bad in a few spots, there was signs of water going everywhere for awhile now.

all the coolent passages on the block and head are all sludged up and etc.

theres signs and even a smell of fuel all over the place in the oil.

the 3 bolts that broke off in the block look to be a bitch to get out and that sucks.

rings im sure are bad, but pistons look fine from what i see.

heres some pics

849_p29186.jpg

849_p29187.jpg

849_p29188.jpg

849_p29189.jpg

849_p29190.jpg

849_p29191.jpg

849_p29192.jpg

theres like 5 bad spots on the headgasket, and everything is so dirty and gunky and etc.

so well i have a metal headgasket thanks to Joel! i love ya! :)

and i have my arp head studs also.

now i can just put it all back together and etc, and get those bolts out myself if i can.

but i dunno if this motor will last long like i want it to, and need it to....

so what i have in mind is this.. (thanks to vince for putting thoughts in my head lol)

hot tank the block.

New rings

pistons cleaned

arp rod bolts

new bearnings

gaskets (which i have already)

the head cleaned all up

Mill the deck abit

new hardwear on the exhaust manifold and intake manifold

arp studs installed

anything im missing?

with this done it will give me time to port the exhaust manifold and get my 280zx n/a 5-speed ready to be installed.

also clean the engine bay up some more i guess.

what ya think?

i dont have the money for this but i would be getting a crazy deal on all this work, shat i could get the head ported for nothing while there at it.

again i dont have the money for this but my dad said he would take care of the bill untill my birthday Nov 3rd when i get some cash from friends and family to pay him back.

good idea?

mike[/img]

well yes it could be worse but it just sucks this had to happen.

i just got my GReddy Profec B unit in too!

well if im gonna rebuild this motor what else am i forgeting? rather get it now while i can.

Vince said a better AN type turbo oil feed line.

also im getting my Holest HX35 turbo soon (might be a bum ebay seller :( ) but if not i might need a better turbo, mine has abit of shaft play in it.

gotta talk to chris about that.. pick up ya phone chris! :)

porting the intake manifold too, also should i heat wrap it so i dont need that ugly exhaust sheild on the car..??

new intercooler piping is in the works, as is injectors but thats all bolt in crap..

what else should i look into while there motor will be torn apart? remember reliable daily driven car, that ill be pushing good boost out of soon. like 16psi or so max.. maybe 18psi.

thanks

mike

Well good luck on the rebuild Mike..I have to hand it to you, you do not waste anytime getting your fingers back in grease and tackling the bull by the horns.

Sounds like your new engine will be simply sweet. What budget are you expecting once its all said and done (with the new turbo as well).

Regards - Yasin

well the thing is i have no budget as i have no more money lol..

i DONT want to rebuild this motor but it seems i HAVE to.

im not to sure what i need to do and get, also dont really know how much something like this will cost.

this put me on the back burnner for sure.

mike

Why don't you just razor blade the deck, put rings in it, do a cheapy hone job with a ball hone, and slap some bearings in it and throw it back together with your studs and head gasket?

For the cost of bearings, rings, a ball hone, and a gasket set plus your gasket and studs you could have it up and running again.

It would be a good idea to check the head for straightness and deal with that if you need to. When you get the block out of the car you can flush the coolant passages with a hose. Hot tanking would be nice, but seems unnecessary.

As to your porting the head and the exhaust manifold, well those things are dirt cheap if you do it or can be extremely expensive if you have someone else do it. I suppose it depends on how much time you have. If it needs to be up and running next week, then don't bother. I'd be more worried about getting the exhaust manifold done than porting the intake...

Seems like you're prone to the "while I'm at its". Not that I'm any better off in that respect... :lol: If this is the car you don't want to spend money on, then don't spend money on it.

well i dont mind spending money on it if i had the money.

ill be doing the intake and exhaust manifold, thats easy.

but the head would be ported and polished for nothing.

i can hot tank it for free too, i just need to get the whole motor out and apart by tomorrow.. :(

i hope i can rebuild it all nice and etc, i just dont no yet.

mike

wrap the headers for sure that wrapping is ugley as hell but it helps a bit with the turbo and heat under the hood as well. less heat lost before the exaust gasses hit the turbo.

i can hot tank it for free too, i just need to get the whole motor out and apart by tomorrow.. :shock:

Git er done BOIY ! :wink: NO BEER TIL' ITS OUT ON THE FLOOR AND APART :!: You'll feel GREAT by then and when it comes out of that tank you won't have that SLEDGE filled "boat anchor" to mess with and wonder whats going to sludge it up quickly again later !

Just DO IT ! :cuss: ....................................... :lol: git a gallon of cheap "wash Laquer Thinner" and soak your rods and pistons in it tl' its time to hand clean and inspect them for "re-ringing"...etc,etc.

Do'nt forget to chase/tap ALL of your used block bolt holes and air hose them out good ! :!:

Everybody hit him in the noggin' with this stuff ! He's stubborn......and git' a damn J. O. B. son....... :roll: lol.

with LOVE MOTHER ! :wink:

i can hot tank it for free too' date=' i just need to get the whole motor out and apart by tomorrow.. :shock:

Git er done BOIY ! :wink: NO BEER TIL' ITS OUT ON THE FLOOR AND APART :!: You'll feel GREAT by then and when it comes out of that tank you won't have that SLEDGE filled "boat anchor" to mess with and wonder whats going to sludge it up quickly again later !

Just DO IT ! :cuss: ....................................... :lol: git a gallon of cheap "wash Laquer Thinner" and soak your rods and pistons in it tl' its time to hand clean and inspect them for "re-ringing"...etc,etc.

Do'nt forget to chase/tap ALL of your used block bolt holes and air hose them out good ! :!:

Everybody hit him in the noggin' with this stuff ! He's stubborn......and git' a damn J. O. B. son....... :roll: lol.

with LOVE MOTHER ! :wink:[/quote']

Sounds like good advise to me. This seems like a good time to pull an all nighter. If you were closer I'd come by and atleast hand you tools. J/K

lol vince and those smiley's!! lol

and thanks Cody :)

well news is the motor is loose, it will be pulled tomorrow morning and brought to the shop for everything, complete rebuild..

need to find some bearnings for the biotch!

mike

well im getting my Total seal rings from Alex Costa for a good price, and i figured ill just go to my nissan dealership and get the oem bearnings and new rear main seal, and prob the timing chain tensioner (unless i can find the nice aftermarket one)..

anything else im forgetting that i should replace or get while the motor is out?

also thanks for the link, maybe ill get the bearnings through them..

mike

Hey Mikey' date=' give me a call, I was gone for a bit, back now...

Chris[/quote']

DAMN Chris,....................We were starting to get the "blood hounds" ready to come look for you ! :lol: Hey I'll be in Houston on Tues 19th-21st. Lets do some steaks ! 8)

yeah...Mike ...you can come too !lol

Hey Mikey' date=' give me a call, I was gone for a bit, back now...

Chris[/quote']

DAMN Chris,....................We were starting to get the "blood hounds" ready to come look for you ! :lol: Hey I'll be in Houston on Tues 19th-21st. Lets do some steaks ! 8)

yeah...Mike ...you can come too !lol

ahhaha so what your running the show now vince?

bought some tools and beer today, so Z wont be worked on for awhile ahahhahahahaha

mike

ahhaha so what your running the show now vince?

bought some tools and beer today' date=' so Z wont be worked on for awhile ahahhahahahaha

mike

When was I not ??? :twisted: lol......................hahaha ! Now git the hell out of my Sandbox BOIY ! :lol:

..............Vince[/quote']

yes sir old man..

its gonna be funn why i smoke your "badass 4x4 "lol" Z" in the Hulk..

ya thats right im calling you OUT old timer!

jhahahahaha

mike (thats on his 7th beer)

yes sir old man..

its gonna be funn why i smoke your "badass 4x4 "lol" Z" in the Hulk..

ya thats right im calling you OUT old timer!

:twisted: Muhahahah ! Better bring a box for when I hand you your ass !!hahahaha.

I just Love this punk trash talk ,don't you...MICKEY,oh,eh...I meant Mike !lol.

Play nice now boys...Vince's Syclone is box stock,and your Z has had it ALL done ! Cheater :oops:

Besides ,I'll have it sold by the time "the Hulk" is near my soil. Hence saving the SOIL in your drawers !! :twak:

....................Vinceinator-Z