HybridZ

My 240SX rear IRS swap into my 240Z

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to say if it cost 100 bucks, that wouldn't be a huge impact on the wallet. I mean... we ARE installing a completely different IRS. 100 bucks is hardly a nickel's worth in that sense.

65 bucks sounds even better.

Mull, what bar stock did you use, if you don't mind divulging that info…

I'll try to post pics of mine later. I didn't have to modify the upper mounting points at all. I just used s14 struts and the original s30 upper mount. I'm going to use coilover's to get my ride height were I want it. The top of the struts lean in a little more than they do on the s14. I'm looking for a pillow ball mount with the same bolt spacing as the s30, I think this will be better suited for the more aggressive strut mount angle. by the way I used the s13 irs for my project. There are a few pictures in my album.

I wonder if someone has a s14sub frame pix. If you dont mind i would like to see both comparison. it would be more informative on s13/s14 subframe choices. On the other hand, if someone can post up the two? that would be nicer.. hehe. Hey Big b i saw your link, so far so good. cant wait till you finish with it.

• 1 month later...

I have both the front and rear subframes from an S14. As well as the steering column and linkage/shaft.

They're both JDM/ The S14 rear subframe has an electronic HICAS system that can be removed and replaced with an threaded end eliminator bar that allows adjustable toe in and out angle. Apparently replacing the hub assembly with aluminum Z32 hubs is a good move, because the stock cast iron ones are a tad weighty.

As for the front, yes it's mounted on the rear side of the cross member. That's something to keep in mind when doing a swap to another car or another car with a different engine. Not sure if it's better than the S13 though.

I know it would be different mounting an RB engine in there with an S30 chassis and S14 front subframe.

Something I plan to do anyway.

I think what makes the S14 a superior design for the S30 chassis anyway is the fact that the rear uses taller shocks.

For an S30 the s13 might work on the 240/early 260. For the late 260/280, I think you need the taller s14 rear shocks/coilovers.

I would take pics of the stuff (got a phone with a relatively good camera on it now!), but I just moved all the stuff into the corners of the garage to do my Z31 clutch repair =(

• 1 month later...
Guest zetto

Hi guys im new here.. i have a 1975 260Z 2+2 model.. love this thread =)

i really need advice from you guys.. really appreciate if you guys can help me out from my misery.. got a couple of question to ask here..

1) is the bottom rear end of 2+2 are the same with the 2 seater?

2) is it possible, if i want to implant the complete IRS from s13 (180sx) without cutting the rear subframe?

really really appreciate it... =)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll reply, since I started this thread. This will just be opinion, because as far as I know, nobody has done what you are proposing. First of all, anything is possible. You can fit these subframes under the car without cutting them. However, especially with a 2 + 2, you will have to mount it lower to clear the unibody of the Z (the 2+2 body is different). That will increase your ride height. I am referring to the front arms of the subframe. You need to decide what is more important for you. If you run your car with shortened lowering springs etc., you may not want that. As far as width goes, you need to measure hub to hub on a 180sx and decide if you can get a set of wheels with more backspacing to clear you fenders. You will likely need fender flares. As far as performing the swap, you will have to do some modifications to the car or the subframe, or even both. How committed are you? Good luck!

Can a R230 differential be easily added to a 240sx rear suspension?

If not, will it only bolt into to? Are the 240sx, Z32 and Q45 IRS the same?

I have a R230TT diff and axels that I was intending on doing the conversion with. I'm thinking at this point I want to get a Z32TT "stub axels/ hub" for my car. I could do this by either doing the TechnoToy Tuning R230 kit or swaping in a Z32 IRS.

Regards,

Justin