HybridZ

DOHC L28 Head

240Z-DET

With so much interest with Z owners wanting a DOHC head similiar to the O.S. Giken unit, shouldn't someone contact a CNC Machine shop that can create one? I'm not here to say that it would be cheap, but if a production run was created for 20-50 pieces, the overall costs can be shared by those who really want it. I remember reading a Turbo magazine a while back that featured Bob Norwood's 5000 HP 4 cylinder Acura Integra. He used one head from a V8 program on the 4 cylinder unit. He would the first one I would contact regarding a built from scratch head. If not him, what about our own JSK Engineering? If the head could be built for reasonable cost, the development of the timing chain and camshaft profiles would be another bump in the road.

The problem is finding enough people that want one. They are not legal under any class that the Z is open to except exhibition classes and classes that would allow motor swaps. So you're basically going to get people who want a really fast street car and people who want something "different". And when you're dealing with those people, then you have to answer the following question: why pay (just guessing) $7000 for a DOHC head when you can just drop in a V8 and have less weight and more hp. For that same $7K a LOT more power. Or for that kind of $$$ you can drop in a Supra DOHC 6 or an RB... It just doesn't make sense.

Guest 83supaZ

Info@EnonvativForce.com

i saw a post in another NG.. he said he contacted this address. they said they needed atleast 5 people committed to buy the heads to reproduce them.. i dont know how much they would be though.. maybe all of us that are intrested should mail them.. or maybe we all reply to this post with a list of people serious to buy them (if the price is right) then mail them with the list of email addresses of ppl wanting to buy. i guess they figure they will make their money back if they produce atleast 5 of them. so lets mail them.. see if we can get a reply on a price. and maybe an amount of time it would take for them to make them? that way we have a time frame to get the money up. maybe we can do it in Feb when we all get income taxes back heh...

My problem with cnc is finding some one with a multi axis machine to make the ports. I was concidering it but I never finished any drawlings for it. It would be nice but I'm happy with just cutting up some heads for my DOHC head. There's just not enough people to care to go thought all the trobble of making a production head.

Oh yah I'm in the works of desinging a new intake for the Injected L6!

Assem1.JPG

Assem2.JPG

tbs

tbs, any updates on your dohc z head project?

Jon, I went through that exact same thought process when that undrilled dohc head came up on this website, I thought, why spend money on a head that costs as much as a bad ass engine swap would? -It doesn't apeal to the low funds crowd.