HybridZ

how well do you think ill do agaisnt a 03 cobra..?

Guest ON3GO

hey guys, a friend and i have a date to run our cars.

well it will be after i get my blue car back together but he is a friend so he is fine waiting.

i dunno how its gonna turn out, im sure he will beat me but what you think?

his cars.

2003 Cobra Convertable

stock

My blue Z.

freshly rebuilt L28ET with total seal rings, head ported and polished, 3 angle valve job, head redone, HKS metal headgasket, arp head studs, ported exhaust manifold, GReddy Profec B boost controller, 370cc injectors, JSK fuel rail, Aeromotive A-1000 Adjustable Fuel Pressure regulator, Blitz Bov, Starion FMIC with custom piping, 60mm t-body on a N42 Intake manifold, 280zx n/a tranny, walbro 255lph fuel pump, full 3inch mandrel bent exhaust, scottie gnz Downpipe, but ill be running threw a open cutout.

i would like to have my MSD 6-btm installed and blaster 2 coil.

ill either have a stock T3 on it or if my Holset HX-35 comes ill run that and see what its like.

if i have the MSD uint on ill run 14psi to 16psi.

if not then 10-12psi.

car weighs 2580lbs last time i weighed it but it will be lighter then that when we race.

ran a 13.9 before and a 14.1 with a BAD boost leak and running less then stock boost and still trapped 97mph.

that was on the old broken motor and 77 280z tranny.

what you guys think?

will run a few from a stop and some rolls.

mike

well... I think the only thing you'll have him on for sure is weight. Convertibles weigh quite a bit more than hard-tops.

Does he know how to drive his Cobra properly? If it's a stick, and he's a shoddy driver.. you can take him. :)

I think it would be pretty close... if he's a good driver, I dont think you'd lose by much.

What you should do is, ask him to lower the convertible top before you race and see if he remembers to put it back up... that'll slow him down a bit if he leaves it down. ;)

-Vann

im sure he will have the top down... wont make much difference.

its a stick as the new ones only come in stick.

and he is a good driver, as i am with my car.

i NO i can take him off the line as i did before on a 03 cobra when i was stock like and broken.

mike

btw i made 170 something rwhp and 210lbs of torque on 5psi with a boost leak, and the old worn out motor, with just the jsk fuel rail, stock injectors, and stock everything else.. just the fmic.

i then dynoed higher (cant find the dyno sheet) later one when i had the exhaust and few other parts. but no where near as many parts i have now.

im also using the 1977 280Z ecu and harness.

car ran quick even though it wasnt running great. was fun.

mike

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

An '03 Cobra 'vert runs a mid/low 13 and traps near 108mph, so go to the track and see what you run... or run another car that is around that performance level and you'll have a comparison. That's about the same level as a C5 corvette, so go find one of them to run.

How much power you make on a dyno doesn't make any difference... the only way you'll know is to race him, race a car as fast as his, or hit the track and see where you fit in.

well my car isnt done yet, and the cloest track is a hour or so away, and last time i went i got sick from all the gas fumes coming into my car.. so not going back there for awhile.

and i just cant race a car thats as fast as him... 1st off its not the same thing and 2nd i dont know many people that have cobras.

just him really.

just thought guys with my mods or close to could chime in and think or say if ill be a fair race.

i know it will be quick, i just dont know if it will be that quick.

mike

Guest bastaad525

The problem with the Cobras if they are factory bone stock is they have really big traction issues off the line. If the guy tries to do any kind of launch at all he's gonna be fighting to get moving without just lighting up the tires. If he has so much as swapped to a better set of tires, or upgraded the diff (a very common first mod on these cars), those cars can EASILY get into the 12's with the stock motor. 390hp is no joke, even if they are heavy cars. Agreed, driver skill will also play a BIG part in a race with this one. Any kind of rolling start race where traction isn't an issue and I'm pretty sure he'd kill you. Look at the trap speeds... a Z running low 13's is usually like 100-104mph, the cobra is running 108... so building speed faster. He'll pull faster with supercharger while you're turbo is still spooling up, giving him an early lead as well.

Off the line you MIGHT have a chance, anything else, and I wouldn't be betting any money if I were you :D

Guest bastaad525

2003 Cobra Convertible:

3780lbs (OMG!!! didnt' know they were THAT heavy!!)

390hp (factory rated at the flywheel)

9.7 lbs per hp

Performance statistics website has stock '03 coupe doign 0-60 in 4.7 and 13.1 @ 109 in the 1/4 mile. With the aforementioned traction problems :)

Don't know what kinda power you'll be pushing Mike.

I know in my case I'm estimating 275hp at the flywheel, figuring (somewhat pessimistically :twisted: ) 230rwhp + 15%, and about 2400lbs, so that makes 8.7 lbs per hp... damn... time for me to go hunt some Cobra's I guess!!

well im trying to figure out why i wouldnt be near Jeserys times..

i never asked or found out what tires he runs.

but i thought i would be atleast in the 12's.

16 to 18psi, open exhaust threw the cutout, car weighs 2580lbs with weight to loose, and a fresh motor that will run plenty strong.

i hope atleast a 12sec pass would be easy.

mike

Mike,

You'll need to be at 275+ flywheel HP to run even with this guy if you can't beat him out of the hole.

Let me use my car as an example. It weighs 2895 lbs. but has 365 flywheel HP for a weight to hp ratio of 7.93. Running on 225/50-16 street tires and a 3.70:1 LSD the best time I ever got was the 12.9 @110. The worst was a 13.3 at about 108. My problem was the launch. The best 60' time I had was a 2.0 and that was on the 12.9 run. Just couldn't hook up - even with 50.5% of the weight on the tail.

Bill

Guest bastaad525

That's what I'm saying... if he's running anything other than stock tires, you're gonna have a problem.

Jersey's times are... exceptional for his setup, I wouldn't count on matching him. He launches GREAT, if you haven't ever seen one of his vids... he really knows how to drive it, and I do think he runs some kinda sticky tire out back, DR's I think but I'm not sure. Bottom line, I don't think I've ever seen anyone with very similiar setups run as fast as Jersey runs (even back when he was running 10psi, no I/C, and bone stock everything). I did recently ask Jersey what his car weighed and it was like 2300lbs.

Mike you are right though with that setup you probably will be good for high 12's if you launch well (but I wouldn't say this would be exactly 'easy'), so yeah you could probably take him if his car is 100% bone stock. I still say from a roll he'd probably take you out though. Not only would he not have to worry about traction then, but he also doesn't have to deal with lag (or at least, not nearly as much as the turbo) and he has a much better power curve/more power UNDER the curve as well, so he'd probably jump out ahead of you as soon as he floored it.

Lord but they are PORKY cars though... who really can say... I guess either way it'll be awfully close :D .

well i have that Holset HX-35 turbo i can use but then i would need a new downpipe and etc.. so :(

best 60 foot i got was 1.98 or something with 225-60-15 yokohama's.. there sticky for what they are and i had them as hot as i could get them.

other times were 2.0, and all the way to 2.2..

ill see i guess as soon as i get the beast running.

mike

I have a buddy with an '03 Cobra. He has BFG DR's and he consistently ran 12.5's all day long. He changed to a smaller pulley and now runs 12.2s. Again, if he has street tires you'll own him. If not, run 110 octane race gas and turn the boost up to 18-19psi. You don't have to be fair! :twisted:

ill run 16psi to 18psi anyways, on a fresh motor with some internal work and port work.

still stock pistons but ill be fine.

the 100shot ill use later on, and will lower the boost down to 14psi when i do that.

ill also add a fuel controller later on, like a haltech or something like that.

megasquirt might be used also later down the road.

mike