HybridZ

Hello My first Post and I have a few quick questions

Hello my name is Matt, and I dont own a Z, But I do own a 1984 Datsun Maxima with the Matching suspention as a 280zx Z. I also own a 240sx with full race suspention, cage ect ect. Ive been searching this forum for the last few months learning alot which as really helped. But I still have a few questions.

Now with the questions.

-Ive found the spring/coilovers combo I want, 600lb springs on all 4 corners(I know it sounds agressive but my 240 has 570lbs on it and It weights 2400lb). But I want a shock/strut combo that can be Revalved to handle that agressive of a springrate, what would you guys reccommend?

-Ive beening looking at ajustable arms and stuff for the Z, and been having a hard time finding adjustable arms and stuff for the ZX style suspention.. why is that? Where can I find fully ajustable suspention components?

Thanks already for all the help, very much appreciated :-D

-Matt

Regarding your first question:

1. What do you intend to do with your Maxima? Autocross, road race, drag, drive it on the street? BTW... this is probably the wrong board to be asking questions about that car. Try maxima.org.

Regarding your second question:

1. No one makes adjustable arms for the ZX.

2. http://hybridz.org/nuke/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=search

I'll take a stab at it, but I have little experience with the semi-trailing arm rear suspensions on the ZXs.

Ideally, for a true road race car (full cage, chassis reinforcement, sticky tires, etc.) then you're looking for wheel rates around 350 lb. in. as a starting point. For the strut front of your Maxima that means spring rates right at 350 lb. in. For the rear semi-trailing arm suspension you will have to calcualte the lever angle induced by the trailing arm to come up with the correct value for the actual spring rate. If you've got a 2 to 1 ratio (just a random ratio I threw out) your spring rate will need to be 700 lb. in. to hit a wheel rate of about 350 lb. in.

You'll also need to find some serious adjustable race shocks to handle those rates. Koni, Tien, Penske, Ohlins are what you'll need to source and the installation and valving will be custom because I don't know of anyone making off the shelf stuff for the ZX anymore.

Anti-roll bars will also probably be custom because the chassis mounting points are different from the Maxima to the ZX.

Thats for that great explination. I found rear and front swaybars for the maxima, which I will be getting it.

I checked out http://www.modern-motorsports.com and they listed that they made coilovers for the ZX, and it was listed under 280zx parts. Is this a mistake or is this the truth. And from what I can tell they make those springs in any springrate. So if I wanted to go somthing like 600lb springs in front, I would have to do somthing like 1200lb springs in back to equal them out? If I get your explination correctly.

Does anyone have a link to like a ZX race car and what they run for suspention? Ive seen lots of pics, but no mod lists.

Again thanks for all your help so far.

I'd start looking at 510 sites if I were you. The 510 is very similar in layout to the ZX, and I'd be willing to bet most of what they're doing translates directly to your car.

The ZX just isn't that popular a race car, probably because the early Z is lighter and doesn't have the semi-trailing arm rear, so you probably won't find too many ZX specific parts. Like I said though, a lot of the 510 stuff can probably be used directly or adapted to your Maxima, just like it can the ZX.

The coilovers on the MM site look like they're for the front only BTW. |

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/

So if I wanted to go somthing like 600lb springs in front, I would have to do somthing like 1200lb springs in back to equal them out? If I get your explination correctly.

Yes, something like that but you need to do the rear wheel rate calculation to come out with the correct rate for the back. The ratio is NOT 2 to 1 (as I used in my example). BTW... to run spring rates in front like I've been talking about (350 lb. in.) you must have a full welded in roll cage and chassis reinforcement. To run 600 lb. in. front springs you will most likely need to replace the front sheet metal with a tube structure.

Racing 240Zs with 8 point welded in roll cages are limited to about 350 lb. in. front spring rates. Anything over that and the front structure itself starts bending and becomes a spring.

Spring rate for cars with semi trailing arms seem to be set up a bit different then many other types of suspension. I would sugesting having a look at datsun 510 info and maybe som earlyer Bmw info. There are so many factors to look into. You need to look at weight on the front and rear and the amount of grip avalable from the tyres you will use. more grip, more spring. Also the rear seems to be set up very stiff on these cars to minimise camber and tow changes.

Douglas

The layout is similar. Front suspension is very very similar. TC rods connect to the frame in front of the control arms. Steering gear is behind the control arms. I think the front control arms themselves interchange.

The rear on both cars uses semi-trailing arm suspension. Mods to adjust rear toe and camber like slotting the rear crossmember would work on both cars. The semi-trailing arms are very similar, but are not interchangeable without slight modification.

The layout is similar enough that 510 guys commonly install 280ZX strut housings because they are shorter (more suspension travel) and have larger vented disk brakes. I believe the early rear ZX brakes bolt straight onto a 510. I don't think the shocks and springs interchange.

They are very similar. Not identical. Very similar.

Check that link I gave you before though. 510 guys will know better than I do what's up, and there are tons of 510 race cars out there, so info should be much easier to find than ZX race car info.

Very very interesting, im learning quite a bit. Im suprised ive seen them run 650lb springs on 240sx (s13s and s14s) with no strut mods done to the body. So I take it this is a diffrent ball game. So basicly if I want to go over 350 I need a full cage and re-welded strut housing in the front.

Lucky im near a few racing shops who build custom stuff, Ill have the bring the maxima in their, and have them check it out.

Also those coilovers on MM say they are for all 4 corners. But like I said before im not even sure if thats for the 280zx...