HybridZ

DAMN, WHY ME?? WHY!?? lol

JaysZ

ok, after JUST buying the car, my transmission crapped out driving it from austin to houston. i ended up buying a used transmission from a local Z shop for $175, no warranty. I had it put in along with a Clutch Masters Stage 5 (very soft pedal feel, just like stock). After much frustration and many trips to O'reilly, I found that I needed a new master and slave cylinder since the others were destroyed. Put in some Royal Purple 75/90 synthetic tranny fluid.. fired it up... 2nd gear sychro is screwed. It wont shift into 2nd without grinding. Now I just shift from 1st to 3rd and dammit, 2nd is my favorite gear. Since the tranny was bought without a warranty, I cant get it replaced. What can I do? i'm really pissed, aggravated, and worst, broke.

just opening up the case to replace the 2nd gear synchro is $$$. i might also find that more are going out soon.

what other options do i have? 240sx? 300zx? etc? What all needs to be done to make it work?

This is what I know of the car:

1978 280z

E88 head

6 into 1 headers

2.5" exhaust with Dynomax Ultraflo

Dual SU carbs

10 lb. HKS flywheel

Clutchmasters Stage 5 clutch

'81 5spd

differential, unknown (most likely stock)

cams, possible

front swaybar and lowering springs, unknown brand

A good Z shop can rebuild a manual transmission in less than a day. It is actually pretty cheap too. I had mine done for $250 about 15 years ago.

Post where you are and maybe someone can direct you to a good shop.

Or get the free 4 speed and have the 5 speed rebuilt when you get the money

J. Soileau, thanks for the generous offer. I thought about it for a second and I think it would be a great alternative but since this isnt my daily driver I think I will have to pass. The reason being I would have to pay to have my current tranny taken out and have the 4 spd put in (and ship it here too). For that much I may be able to get this one rebuilt or get lucky finding a 5spd. *cross fingers*

again, thank you very much.

Just out of curiosity, would a Honda tranny fit with modification?

Jay,

Sorry to hear about your Z problems. I too had to make the trek from austin to houston with my z when I first bought it. (I can sympathize)

I have a spare 4 speed laying around you can have... I would be willing to help you remove your old one and install the 4 speed. If you don't want to deal with a four speed, I don't know if you've been to any of the junk yards around town but the pick a part I go to always has about 4 zx's with 5 speeds you can pull. I got mine for $65. Anyway, just pm me and let me know if you want me to help out.

1978 engine and GOOD 5 speed transmission free for the taking in Atlanta Ga!

Engine is squeeky' date=' but the tranny was rebuilt in 2000 and the car was not used for 4 years. All gears are quiet and smooth.

Gotta pick it up, no shipping.[/quote']

WOW!!!!! now thats an offer thats hard to refuse...... :cheers: