HybridZ

SR20det VS. L28ET - help?

rustrocket

I recently bought an l28et engine for my 73 240z. I have yet to install it. However, a good friend of mine just offered me a silvia front clip with an sr20det + 5 speed for the insanely low price of $800, to be delivered in january. Should i stick with the l28et or go with the sr20det?

I like the idea of dropping all the weight with the sr20det, but i like the torque of the l28et. What do you guys recommend?

Well...Vildini motorsports apparently makes the sr20det mounts for around $200 give ir take a little, i dont remember.

But both engines will require a custom IC piping, and new exhaust, etc...

Auxilary and BayareaZT - I'm not sure i can get you the clip for $800, it might be a little closer to $1000, which i'm sure you know is about 1/2 price. At this point, my buddy is still negotiating with people in japan, so theres the possibility it could not happen at all. But if it did, could i count you guys in?

Guest bastaad525

There's lot's of trade-offs but in the end I strongly feel the SR20 would be the better potential performer. Lots of people consider the 2 less cylinders a 'downgrade' but really, the 2 extra cylinders on the L28 don't give it all that much extra torque off boost because of such low compression (my stock L28ET is a DOG off boost, my '91 Sentra SE-R feels faster), on boost is another story and you could easily make as much power and torque as the L28. SR20 is more revvable and hence will generate more top end = more hp for a given amount of torque as well... L28's make all their torque down low and generate relatively low hp numbers (check my sig). SR20 is more technologically advanced, more tuneable, is lighter, and will result in a better balanced Z with all the weight behind the front wheels. You get better gas mileage, more aftermarket support, and a nicer looking engine bay with room to spare as well :D

Damn why didn't I do an SR20?????