HybridZ

Liberal Manic Depression

Pop N Wood

Man, Cheny scratched Halliburtons back over 12 years ago, exercizing enough foresight to profit now by encouraging a war and earning dividends from a company he dis-associated from to avoid exactly this type of accusation over. Thats deep.... or not. I rather think Daschle would have run that flag far enough up the flag pole to get re-elected. Too bad his constituents decided to get rid of him..... another vast right-wing conspiracy victim.

It's not a "vast right-wing conspiracy". It's just plain unadorned conflict of interest and profiteering. I mean, he instituted policies (very POOR policies) that directly benefited Halliburton, went on to become CEO (not a very good one either) of Halliburton, and then as veep was a major influence to get us into a big spendy war with Iraq that profits one company above all, and you're telling me there's no conflict of interest there?

Blind.

Hey Pop N Wood. I posted this on another site, you should send it to your friend and see if he takes the offer.

I hear Sean Hannity has a deal for anyone that isn't happy with the results of the election. He will start a fund to pay the expenses for anyone that wants to move out of the country. All you have to do is pick a country you think is better and sign an agreement that you will never return and all your moving costs are free. Who knows you might end up living next door to a ex-hollywood movie star.

If I wanted to leave I would pick Aruba.

Guest V8Datsun

Anybody who voted for Bush and Cheney because of their "moral values" IS dimwitted.

It won't be as hard as you think to get whatever legislation George wants past the Congress, even renewing the draft because Congress hasn't been this Republican since Calvin Cooledge. We have what's essentially a one-party, lame duck administration now, elected in a fundamentalist fervor that's blind to serious issues like an unnecessary war that's killing our kids (and who knows how many Iraqis), putting this country in isolation from most of the rest of the world (and we'll be completely alone after the British kick out their PM for his gullable association with George), facing a boycott of American goods in Europe, and all this really soon after the whole world was with us because of 9/11. Oh, and the national debt went from zero to more than ever before in the same few months. And all this is in addition to the out-of-sight connects between Bush, the Saudis, Haliburton and big American oil.

There aren't any issues more important than these, but 51% of Americans don't care about them. But 49% do, the east and west coast states saw the truth even if no one in the middle did.

Guest V8Datsun

What ideas "newer than the bible" were you referring to?

Stem cell research for one, and science in general. You should read what non-aligned scientists are saying about the spin, distortions and just plain inversion of facts this administration is doing to good, solid and truthful science that contradicts their first and deepest commitment- big oil and what it puts in their pockets. 51% of this nation is being flim-flammed by Texas oil but it's too stupid to see it. We'll see as time passes what the real truth is, now that George can't get reelected again and so has nothing to lose. I've ordered a bunch of bumper stickers that say "Don't blame me, I voted for Kerry". I wonder how long it will be before something happens that warrants one of them on my 240Z's back window.

...and if the draft comes back and my sons have to face what I did in 1965 (the prospect of being at risk in a stupid and unnecessary war- the parallels between Iraq and Viet Nam (did my time there mid 1960's) are chilling to someone who's been around for both) we're outta here for Canada (.3 miles from here) and nobody has to pay my way. My family goes back to 1640 when we first came here from England; I have a Charleville musket carried by my great-great-etc. grandfather who was with Washington at Valley Forge; my middle name is Sherman because General Wm. T. Sherman of Civil War fame was another of my grandfathers; every generation of my family has been in the military (I spent 33 years on active duty, 4 years active during "Nam and the Reserve for the rest). The point is that even after all of that service my family has given to this country I'll leave it in a heartbeat if it takes the wrong course because the majority stupidly decide to, and put my family at risk for no reason that serves the nation and instead serves the avarice and hubris of dimwitted cowboys with more arrogance than judgement, more pride than humanity, more agendas no one sees than anyone knows.

And I'm really sorry to start my membership in this forum with such rancor. This election has upset me a lot as you might be able to tell, mostly because I'm disappointed in the people who let him get away with what destruction he's already brought us, and even give him a "mandate" (or so Cheney says) to do it all again if he wants- kill another thousand volunteers in some other country we didn't need to invade, with no end in sight there either. I hope we can survive the next 4 years of such flawed leadership and then elect a more honest, open and humane government. If George lives up to expectations, then this is the last Republican administration that this country will tolerate, and we can begin progress again toward enlightenment, tolerance, peace and cooperation. Meanwhile I'll shut up and let the idealogues shoot themselves in the foot as they surely will.

Guest V8Datsun

I voted, as did enough New Yorkers to win the state for Kerry, which is of some small satisfaction to me.

But enough of this. I really am sorry to have vented on here as I did. I have a lot of other stuff I can contribute here; I hope you'll let this pass knowing how frightened I am for the kids in Iraq, for my sons who might get involved as I did 40-odd years ago to no good for anyone (especially me- it took a long while to sleep the whole night through).

Let's talk about cars and stuff like that, and forget what troubles us.

I think that when the draft is brought back to man any new adventures for George, only those states that voted for him ought to have their kids drafted. They like Bush that much, let them back him up with THEIR sons and daughters.

Recently I've heard a lot of talk about "Bush reinstating the draft". To my knowledge, that would require legislation that would have to pass both the House and Senate before the President can sign it. Let's take a moment and remember what every Congress person and Senator wants.... to be re-elected.

So:

a. It's not just George's draft.

b. I find this to be highly unlikely.

I'll refrain from commenting on the numerous other opinions in this thread.

Another thing to remember is that it was two Democrats (I can't remember now if they were senators or representatives) that sponsored legislation last year to create a draft because (I'm paraphrasing) it was only poor minority kids that were fighting the war and the rich kids need to do their fair share. I will try to find a link to it.

Universal National Service Act of 2003 Introduced 1/7/03 by Rep Rangel, Charles B. of NY.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.163:

The identical bill was introduced to the Senate the same day by Sen Hollings, Ernest F. of SC.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.89:

Other Links.

http://www.thebatt.com/news/2003/01/14/Opinion/Dodging.The.Democrats-515173.shtml

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/01/07/rangel.draft/

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2003/01/03/MN169142.DTL

This one is kind of funny, he voted against his own bill.

http://www.hillnews.com/news/100604/rangel.aspx

I was surprised through the whole election that the Bush campain never used this to counter Kerry's claims that Bush was going to reinstate the Draft.

I dont think Bush ever came out in support of the draft.... and Rumsfeld came right out in opposition:

"We're not going to re-implement a draft. There is no need for it at all," Rumsfeld said. "The disadvantages of using compulsion to bring into the armed forces the men and women needed are notable."

The arguement against it is essentially that our current voluntary service is sufficient, and mandatory service would require cutting benefits including the GI bill... thus discouraging the majority who now inlist for economic reasons, not to mention removing an attractive option for a segment of the population that has too few as it is.

Some people need to take their news from live cameras or actually read the original bills, and reaction to them to avoid regugitating spin, IMHO.

I can't believe the crap I'm hearing. According to the Dems, the only possible reasons for voting Bush are either that I'm stupid or that I hate gays. They don't understand me now, and they are so arrogant that they won't understand me in 4 years.

I was watching the Daily Show last night and Jon Stewart was saying that the red states voted for Bush because there were too many gay TV shows on the air and voting Bush was a way to "strike back". I guess to a Democrat the "morals" cited by voters who chose Bush ONLY pertains to gays... :?

Well, I'm FOR gay marriage and I voted Bush. I guess I must be extra stupid then... :D:lol: