HybridZ

new here have some basic questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i have a question for all you pros in here i have a 78 280z bone stock.i have fell in love with the whole v8z thing and im planning on doing the swap im planning on throwing a 350 sb highly modified about 375 hp i was wanting to back it up with a muncie 4 speed but i havent seen anyone in here with a muncie it seems like alot of you just go th 350 is it eaiser to go automic also is my rear end (r200)strong enough for 375 hp and if not would it be possible to put a 12 bolt posi back there also it seems like a lot of you guys do the swap in your own garage i dont have a garage to do the work myself nor do i really now how to work on cars myself would it be possible to take my z to a shop that could do the swap for me and if so does anyone know of any good shops in the bay area that could do that sort of swap and also would it be big bucks as far as the labor to do the swap engine,tranny and maybe a 12 bolt posi any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks guys

Step one is to get the Jags That Run (JTR) manual. There is a JTR link on the Hybrid home page.It will cover most of the questions you have about transmission options. In our conversion we used an 89 Camaro world Class T5 five speed trans. The shifter comes up through the stock shifter hole and it is very smooth. You can see the shifter details on our photo page below. We are also using the R200 differential. We have just over $5000.00 in the car so far and have done everthing except the exhaust ourselves. Still have brakes, suspension and paint to do. Having a shop do the conversion would have cost big bucks.

Miles

I agree, I wouldn't call a 375 hp motor highly modified :cool:

The Muncie 4-speeds work best with an old school Scarab style conversion (motor sitting forward), which is generally agreed on to be less ideal than the more modern, balanced JTR conversion. With the JTR setup a T-5 or T56 will exit the stock tranny hole. If you are going to run an auto, any TH350 or 700R4 will work fine. I have a T5 in mine.

The R200 is totally solid to 500+ hp. The weak link is in the halfshaft u-joints. There is a member here that runs deep into the nines with a standard R200 but breaks halfshaft u-joints right and left (ever run, I hear). I wouldn't recommend doing a solid rear axle swap, ESPECIALLY if you don't have the time/money/patience/knowledge/etc. I would definitely not want to pay a shop to do something like that because they will give you the screw job and charge extra for the vaseline. . .

I'm sure it would be big bucks no matter what you do to have a shop do work for you.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure its easier going auto or manual, they each have they're issues and they're just different not harder or easier.

The only reason the Muncie isn't used very often these days is because of the 3.54 + gearing causes pretty high RPM's on the highway, overdrive trannies are the current trend in nearly all street rods these days unless your running a solid rear end with like 3.0 gears or steeper.

Another muncie issue is where it puts the shifter, on the side of the tunnel unless you modify the linkage to sit on top of the back of the tranny and that requires longer and rebent rods and the mounting for the shifter handle itself. Thats another reason the T5 and T56 are prefered, internal shift linkage. Good luck with your project either way.

Regards,

Lone

Guest JAMIE T

Fairlady327 has a Muncie 4spd in his Zcar, and he likes it alot. For someone without a garage, or much mechanical experience, you may want to buy a Z that has already been converted. If you plan on building one yourself, start small, work your way up. A mild small block chevy(@300-350hp), a T5 transmission, and a 3.70 geared R200 rear, and you should be running all over the locals. Try not to get caught up in the frills. Just an engine, trans, and rear. Upgrade the brakes when the time comes.

• 11 months later...

Nion - Why are the Muncie's perferred for the Scarab style conversion? I've got one of those, which originally had a Muncie, but I've just purchased a World Class T5 for it. What challenges will I face? I already know about the 15º angle of the tranny with the bellhousing.

Thanks,

Terry

yeah that Fairlady guy-what a pimp :D

the muncie four speed is basically bulletproof in a z and cost way less than a five speed. i still have a spare t10 for memories sake. overdrive is a nice thing, but man i love the american four speeds very much. strong as hell, mine came out of a chevelle with a 454 that had 450lbs, that thing had to go auto it was killing 10 bolts and on its way to hurting a 12bolt. usually work better in a scarab because of the external linkage. i beat the crap out of my scarab everyday for three years, and got 15 or so runs at the strip, five with drag radials. car ran thirteens with a overjetted carb, no vacum advance, and a very tired 327. i can see it being done in jtr with some mods to the shift rods, but i think you guys are too sissy to run with the four speed, its a notchy box that sounds like a supercharger when youre driving, and its weaks points were me powershifting it everyday and streetracing it over a hundred times, i would snap steel shifter bushings and lock the rods up every other week, but thats why im the KING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if i wanted comfort i wouldnt have run the four puck! i didnt want to commute this car, i came to kick @ss in that car and thats what i did. i twisted that car into a pretzel, straightend and welded it, and twisted it again, now ive got a different purpose statement in my new Z project, but if i ever did a stick shift v8z again, the only five speed youre gonna see me with is a doug nash 4+1 or a JERICO. i did have to rebend the rods, and eventually i went to a true heim joint linkage from the newer richmond trans, and kicked some more import and domestic tail, ive lost to ten or twelve cars hotter than my old v8 car, and thats not bad 88-12, with most of them being a one shift KO, knocking down every new and old car you can name, ive stomped hemis,BBCchevelles, old and new camaros with LT/LS1, mustang 5.0s by the boatload, every model honda known, eclipses, rx7's, ive outhandled 300zxtts in a drag race that turned into a drift battle when the 300 wouldnt back off, stingray vettes, new vettes, most vettes, once broke a monster miata off something proper! that car wasnt about having it all, it was about taking it all!!!! who knows about this one b_hand.gifb_hand.gifb_hand.gifb_hand.gif