HybridZ

delimma please advise

CableSrv

ok guys, I'm putting a msg here in hopes maybe you can point me in the right direction.

first off I have a 1973 240z with a l28e engine/n42 head with hitachi su carbs on a e88 manifold.

issue #1

the front carb is shot and always runs rich even after adjusting the float bowl and closing the mixture needle!!

issue #2

head gasket is most likly blown as engine overheated really bad one day and cylinder number 3 had a really bad fowl plug

issue #3

I have NO FUNDS AT ALL!!

My ideas! I want to swap in a 280zxt engine but lack of funds keep me from doing that. My mom has a 1986 300zxt in the garage she told me I could use to get the funds to fix my car.

now to explain that car. Turbo is shot, enough shaft play to let the compresser wheel touch the housing and scar it! exhaust was so rusted I had to saw it in half to get it off, automatic transmission! All power interior... but removed top of seats to put in my 240z. Body is in awesome condition no rust that I can see no dents Black paint.

Enikie 16x7? or x8 not sure, but they are the black mesh wheels with chrome lip.

never looked into the motor so not sure on it's condition just know it ran before we parked it 8 years ago ? but had grinding noise (presumably from the turbo we think)

I've done search on ad's and ebay to see how well 300zxt stuff sells and i find very few ad's and mostly no bids.

I would rather trade out the entire car for everything needed to do the 280zxt swap into my car(stock stuff no aftermarket, well maybe) but again at a loss cause i have no clue where to go or post.

So I ask for your help in the right direction.

If your intrested in the car I"m in Ft Worth texas :D

Too bad you're so far away from me.. but I'm sure SOMEone closer would be interested in the car.. The rims/hubs/brakes/LSD diff would be worth something for SURE.. If you're willing to part out the car. Thing is.. it it's present condition, it's probly not gona be worth as much as a zxt drivetrain...

As for your '73, it doesnt sound all that bad really.. I'm not sure what the head gasket is worth, but it can't be much.. a whole engine gasket set is only $90 I think so...maybe $25 for the H/G? (I'll bet someone else here will know for sure) And as for the carbs, you should be able to get a hold of some used/junkyard SU's cheep, and rebuild/clean them up (basicaly make two good carbs from 4) trust me, they are VERY simple. I got mine AND a zx dizzy for $125. IMO, you should part out/sell the 300zxt, and just fix your 240's gasket and carb problem for now. Then you can save for the L28ET swap, AND have a Z to drive! Good luck man, what ever you decide.

how much would the swap cost ? I've heard of ppl getting the entire engine for 150 in junkyards... that still run awesome...

I would think that this car is worth more than what is needed for the swap!! But I guess not.. :(

anyone else got any idea's ?

ok it's not a 86 it's a 87 but it's early 87 before the lsd from what i remember. Other wise that'd be in my 240z but yea no lsd in this one :(

Still tho, good engine, good auto trans, perfect body, 16x7 enike black mesh (ssr look alikes) power interior minus top part of the seats, turbo will need to be rebuilt and new exhaust and new cooling fan/shroud and you got a running car.

all that just for a 280zxt engine/intake/exhaust manifold/turbo/ecu/wire harness and all fuel related items. Don't need trans as mine already has a 5 speed trans.

Personally that's a good deal in my opinion as what i'm willing to give is worth more

Well, perhaps.. but if I was looking at buying your 300, I'd be leary of an engine that has sat for 8 years, and was making noise THEN.. :shock: you know the turbo's shot, but you cant be "sure" the motors ok.. Brakes are probly all seized/rusted from sitting for that long, and the fuel in the tank/lines has surly turned to varnish. I still say parting the car will make more money.. mho.

And what you're offering beeing "worth more"? I dono... it just depends on "who" is wanting it.. I have a 2 weel drive truck for sale out front that I'm sure is worth more that the beater 4X4 Im DRIVING.. (both trucks are same year/king cab/black/ect) but I can't sell that thing for the life of me! See.. winter's here, and no one's looking for a 2wd pick up. :evil: Doesn't matter what it's worth.. it matters who wants to part with their cash for it.

Oh.. the 5 gear you have will likely not stand up to the turbo ZX motor if you do get one.. iirc, the turbo's used a borg warner T5. Not trying to be a dink man, just sayin..

car has sat in a garage for 6 years, so no rust from sitting at least from weather, brakes aren't seized as the car is jacked up the entire time and wheels turn cleanly and brakes can be applied from inside the car so I know brakes work. Fuel turning into varnish is possible but I found the title and we got the car 5/19/1998, she drove it for 3 months then she heard a noise and immediatly parked it in the garage. Oil's and antifreeze were drained out of the car long ago, fuel wasn't but she doesn't think there was much in there at the time but this was 6 years ago.

I do agree engine still could be a caution on it not working but with the turbo in it's condition I would assume that would rule it out but of course it can't.

your right about parting it out! I could easily make more doing so, however that lengthens the time frame of getting the money.

my car is down NOW and I need to get it back up SOON!! so I was willing to sacrafice my loss into your gain by doing plain trade off. But as you believe it probably won't happen. I'm going to attempt to talk to a few junkyards around here and see if they are willing to do the full out trade, if not then i'll consider parting it out. Second I'm not attempting to mod the engine or turbo for some time, I'm talking stock boost and stock setup only! My transmission should have no issue standing up to stock performance of a 280zxt. But I do agree if I attempt to modify the performance any that eventually the transmission and rear end would easily give out.

I actually have everything you need for going turbo, but it's going in my 260. Sorry.

You could try to work out a deal with Jerry at All Z's.

What I could do though is look at the '87 and see what I could offer you for it. I could also help you out with your '73. Head gasket can be changed out in an afternoon when its just carb'ed. I think I have an extra headgasket at the house. SU's are a peace of cake. Sounds like the needle is out of position or bent.

PM me and we can work out the details.

Are you still working Thursday nights. Our Z club meeting is this week.

I've talked to Jerry at all z's and he doesn't have a 280zxt engine to do the trade but I think he was intrested at least. Which is why I'm probably going to have to find a junk yard somewhere to do it.

This sat i'm going junk yard hopping to see if any have what I need, and if they do offer the trade.

I appreciate all the help you guys have given me :D