HybridZ

Best Fuel Regulator?

midnightzxt

Guest bastaad525

stock fuel pressure regulator should work fine.

If you want some tune-ability for cheap, look at the MSD adjustable FPR:

http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=2628&cat_id=13&cat_name=&sc_id=&sc_name=

$55 from Overboost.com + shipping, and it's boost/vacuum referenced. A perfect, adjustable replacement to the stock unit. Lots of people go with more expensive ones like the Aeromotive... but why spend three times the price for the same functionality? A few guys on here have used the MSD unit and loved it.

the MSD one is actually made by bosch (I got mine from summit was a few bucks cheaper), I had one, I don't care for the way it mount and it doesn'e quite fit where it belongs, the aeromotive is a nice piece if you can afford it, and it bolts to the firewall out of the way

Guest bastaad525

eh but still... if you're spending $150-200 just so that you can mount/install it easier... I stay still save the money and make your own bracket or pay a machine shop $25 to make one for you for the MSD... voila problem solved and still mucho money saved. The important thing should be how the unit works... well of course unless you're also going for bling factor, in which case, yeah the aeromotive is a much nicer piece.

like I said if you can afford the aeromotive it's a nicer unit, the main reason i switched was because I needed to run new feed and return lines, so I bent them from aluminum and flared them with as fittings (less adapters) and I think it was only about $125 when I got mine, nothing really wrong with the Bosch/MSD but if your worried about the looks then the Aeromotive is the way to go as well

I did a search and found like 34 pages worth of posts.

What would be the best regulator to run with 35lb injectors and the Megasquirt ECU? Will I need a new fuel pump for the size "6" hoses?

Injector size doesn't matter, it's the fuel pump volume. I use a stock 280 ZXT with a Walbro 255l/h and I use it with a Paxton kamikazie pump too.

I did a search and found like 34 pages worth of posts.

What would be the best regulator to run with 35lb injectors and the Megasquirt ECU? Will I need a new fuel pump for the size "6" hoses?

Injector size doesn't matter' date=' it's the fuel pump volume. I use a stock 280 ZXT with a Walbro 255l/h and I use it with a Paxton kamikazie pump too.[/quote']

That is what I'm wondering. I think 35lb injectors are 420cc, and bigger than stock. I was wondering if the stock fuel pump has enough volume to be able to handle the bigger injectors and the size 6 hoses I'm putting on (stock is size 4).

Guest bastaad525

common oppinion is the stock fuel pump is not good for much more than stock anything. I would imagine with such high flowing injectors the stock pump might have trouble maintaining fuel pressure... at any rate the fuel pump is usually the first thing recommended to be replaced on any turbo setup.

Though I will say, I ran mine up to 200hp at the wheels (10psi, stock everything, no I/C) with no problems with fuel supply even when I dynoed it... went back and dynoed with an upgraded pump and saw no real difference. So it's good at least up to that point.

Cronic who also frequents the boards here ran his stock pump even higher than that, I believe.

Hot wiring the pump, or whatever it's called, basically wiring the pump to directly to the battery, using a relay, so that it gets full 14+ volts of power while operating, helps a bit.

That is what I'm wondering. I think 35lb injectors are 420cc' date=' and bigger than stock. I was wondering if the stock fuel pump has enough volume to be able to handle the bigger injectors and the size 6 hoses I'm putting on (stock is size 4).[/quote']

35lb is about 380cc. I run -6 hose on my L28 car with out any problems and 3/8" on the 7M car. I was running 2 stock pumps on the L28 car before going after market. If you already have the pump try it. I ran a cheapo pressure guauge Teed into the feed line and ran it under my wiper blade to check pressure at max boost/RPM. You'll know in a second if it's not enough volume.

I would do as Bastaad said and run it of the battery w/ a relay. I had a 2 volt drop before doing it to mine.