HybridZ

Fiberglass Console

MYRON

Guest 83supaZ

what are you using to "glue" the foam pieces together... and i dont know much about fiberglassing.. but what do you use over it.. reisen? or what do you mix with it... if you sand the finished product does it scratch and look bad? once you paint it would you have to go back over it with another coat of fiberglass? better yet.. anyone have a good site to learn to fiberglass? i learn stuff really fast and if i had something to go by i could pick it up pretty fast probably.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the green console I am working on, I used the green flourist foam and liquid nails to make the base shape... I have discovered that if you use the Blue insualtion foam from Lowes, you can use use packing tape or another mylar iron on covering to make it slick before you apply the fiberglass resin and you can work the FG off the foam.. I also use hot glue to bond the blue stuff.....

83SupaZ,

You can get the resin and supplies at your local auto parts store... Make a mold out of foam and layer the glass over it as the direction state... after that, it is all up to your imagination....

Myron

Owen,

OH NO!! it melts... BUT I have some model airplane iron on mylar stuff that is super thin and it shrinks when heated and it forms real nice to compound curves ... I have also used packing tape to keep the resin from eating the foam.... I am going to try to pick up a sheet of it today so I can start tonight on the dash...

Myron

RumbleZZZ,

Yes, I live near austin.. in Kyle actually... 17 miles south of 71 and 35.

I am going to go to San Marcos tonight and get some foam... if you wanna come by this evening that would be fine... gimme a shout 936-443-9359

Myron

Zhadman,

I havnt been there yet!.... For those interested, I started on my dash last night.. I posted a couple pics in my gallery... I still havnt figured out how to post them in the thread... Again.. I just started last night so the dash shape is just a raw outline....

Myron

Guest 83supaZ

looks like its going to turn out great! wish i was as talented :? how would you guys suggest fixing a dash that has splits in the top.. fiberglass it? and if so... what steps would you go about.. they are BIG cracks.. maybe 1/2 inch wide and like.. 3 inches long

Best bet for a stock dash that is messed up is a cover.. I have tried fixing the cracks and it is just too har to get them to blend.... I am hoping this dash expirament turns out good... I am getting ready to go sand and carve some more... I got one of my little "screens" ready to get fitten in ther... I may also work on an A pillar guage pod.... More pics in the morning...

Myron

Here is a pic from last night.. I will have an indash screen in the stereo and one seperate screen for the passenger.. I will have the pass screen attached to a small CCD facing out the back of the car for easy viewing of the car behind me!.. it will also be attache to a TV tuner and DVD...

4DCP_0074-med.JPG