HybridZ

Fiberglass Console

MYRON

Hey guys,

I doing my conversion, I figured I would need more room for guages and stereo gear... I decided to make my own console out of fiberglass.

It is far from finished and this is only the raw shape... I made a foam plug and sanded it to shape then covered it with a couple layers of glass.. I have alot more sanding to do before its ready to cover... tell me what you think....

Well, I cant seem to get the link in here... the pics are in my album if anyone is interested.....

Myron [/img]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

Thanks for the props!.. and Dcarrow, Thanks for uploading them!...

I am trying to keep it halfway light so I am not going to use any filler for the rough spots... I am going to sand is some more then try to decide what to use to cover it.. maybe a vinyl or "pleather" of some sort... I also thought about using a tweed like fabric... I just dont know yet... It is pretty rigid and I am confident it will support whatever I mount in it..

I have some carbon fibre sheets that are about 12"x 12" and 1/8th an inch thick that I will use on the surface for cosmetic reasons...

If this one turns out decent I will make a pillar guage mount as well..

Myron

Hey guys,

Thanks again for the support!... Rumble, I am already contemplating a dash..I almost started one last night! The foam is pretty easy to work with and I have since come up with some better foam that sands down as smooth as bondo... I will keep the details coming as I make progress...

Myron

Hey Tim,

Hows those covers holding up?

The foam that is easy to work with and sand can be purchased at Lowe's Home improvement.. It usually comes in a 2'x8'x 2" thick sheet and it sells for around 14.00 per sheet which would be more than enough to build a dashboard and console. It is a very dense and brittle insulation made by 3M, it is light blue in color.... If your real crafty, you will buy a regulated transformer and some picture hanging wire and make a "hot wire bow"... You can use the bow to make perfect cuts through the foam.. the wire actually melts a fine "cut" through the foam.... I use this method to make wings for my model airplanes and it works like a champ.

Myron

Looks good Myron! Don't mean to throw in any new ideas into your mix, but it'd be cool of the top portion of the console was angled toward you like the newer Supra consoles.

A fiberglass dash is a lot of work, I'm just using the plastic dash cap sitting on an aluminum frame. The gauges are mounted to the frame and line up with holes on the dashcap.

Owen

Hey Owen,

I thought about that, but the indash LCD would be hard for the passenger to see if it was aiming at me!... I am still contemplating making an entire dash and new console.. My little brother is trying to convice me to graft the dash out of my 98 TA donor car into the Z but I'm still undecided.. I would rather make my own custom dash than a stock Pontiac dash.. I look at one of those everyday anyway!

Myron

I thought about that' date=' but the indash LCD would be hard for the passenger to see if it was aiming at me!...

[/quote']

Why not keep the dash pointed straight and just put a swivel mount on the LCD screen so you can twist it from left to right :)

Hey Owen' date='

I thought about that, but the indash LCD would be hard for the passenger to see if it was aiming at me!... I am still contemplating making an entire dash and new console.. My little brother is trying to convice me to graft the dash out of my 98 TA donor car into the Z but I'm still undecided.. I would rather make my own custom dash than a stock Pontiac dash.. I look at one of those everyday anyway!

Myron[/quote']

Just do what the ricers do and put 4 or 5 monitors in :D ! A swivel is a good idea too.

Owen

Hey guys,

I am still kicking around the idea of a totally custom dash... As for the current center console, I was planning on an indash DVD/Stereo with the integrated screen so making it swivel woul be a bit tricky... I was digging around in my model airplane video gear and I have an extra set of Rosen 6.4" lcd's with tuners and the whole bit... since I already have that I am thinking about installing on of those on the passenger side of a custom dash... I am still looking around for a GPS system that uses an RCA interface instead of a PC based unit.. that way I can just flip a switch and view my location..... Perfect for that female passenger that insist upon being a "backseat driver".....

Thanks again for the props!... If you havnt seen it, go to Owens homepage and checkout his interior... Looks like Owen has known about the blue foam for a long time already....

If your thinking about trying.... Go for it!

Myron

Driftn,

What are your pics of?... I see little red a "x".... I remove most of the foam after I'm done, BUT If you not careful and your foam is thick, your part may not fit very well unless you space it back up.. I have pretty much decided to make a complete dash... One way to get it to fit snug is to use a block of wood where your going to mount the part to the chassis... Fiberglass it in place then drill the mounting hole....

Myron

Groovy

OK, I was JUST in Pearland last week! Now I know who to contact next time I'm out there!

Thanks for the props Myron, and actually, I use the GREEN foam :D It doesn't melt with polyester resin that you can buy at Home Depot etc.

Aircraft Spruce is a good source for both foams, Michael's (the craft store) sells the green as "florist foam"

I don't think the swivel would be that tricky, just make a box, mount the screen in there, and have the whole thing swivel. I'd rather see it pop up out of the dash like those OEM ones, press a button and up rises a monitor...when you're done, it sinks back into the dash. Cool!

Owen