HybridZ

Need a set of round top SUs...

Guest thewingnut

Guest thewingnut

Anyone have a pair they want to part with? My square-tops took a dump on me today(I think...might be a bad fuel pump, too) during my 150 mile trip home, and turned what should have been a nice 2 hour drive into a 6 hour nightmare.

Block is a stock 2.6 with all of the smog equip intact. Not sure what sort of round tops I'd need.

Guest thewingnut

Thanks for the offer, Don...I'm trying to get a set on and running before Thanksgiving, so I can visit family. I don't have the skill to rebuild a set myself, unfortunately.

I don't have the skill to rebuild a set myself, unfortunately.

Yes you do. :lol: Seiously, SU's are BASIC man... Can you use a socket set, wrenches and screwdrivers? Then you can dissassemble su's no prob. Buy a can of varsol, clean evrything up (do one carb at a time) and reassemble. (just make sure the piston slides freely up and down when you bolt down the 'dome' on the top.) You'll need a rebuild kit, OR some gasket paper and two 'o' rings. Simple stuf, honestly. Me and a buddy re+re'd mine in 3 hours, and within 20 mins of instaling them, had the car running great.

Guest thewingnut

Maybe it's not as hard as I thought, then.

I do have a tuning book here, and I think that a few tools from Z therapy might be helpful...tuning would be the hard part...I've never been able to get any of my carb'd cars running the way that I've wanted them to.

I'm not saying Im any kind of expert on SU's, but I plan on tearing mine down this winter (well, next few months anyway.. no money to buy anything for the Z right now, so I might as well do SOMEthing!) Basicaly I want to clean evrything up, and semi restore them.. *maybe* bore them out a bit, I dono yet.. But I can take a bunch of pics along the way, and put something together if there's intrest. Definatly check out the Z therapy site; those guys know their stuf!

Are you sure it is the carbs, not the fuel filters, water in the gas or fuel pump? If I remember right there is a filter in the bottom of the electric fuel pump next to the gas tank in addition to the one in the engine compartment. Also you could have a fuel pump problem. I know the flat tops are trash carbs but they should not just take a dump like that.

:roll: