HybridZ

fuel and turbo probs

gexgexgexgex

i think my stock 280zx turbo fuel pump just died, so i am looking to upgrade, i like the holly electric one, but i am wondering if i will need a new fuel pressure regulator. i ask this because i put in a walburo 255 pump and it pumped so much psi, like 40 at idle, that the car would not run.

also i thought some one found a fuel pressure regulator for like only 60 buck and, money is a big prob for me right now so the cheaper the better.

links would be great but any help would be great

Guest bastaad525

I find it very odd that your car would not run at 40psi of fuel pressure :? If you unplug the vacuum reference hose from a stock FPR even running the stock fuel pump, with the motor running, fuel pressure will go right to about 40psi, and the idle will barely change at all.

At any rate, I've no idea about the holly pump, but I know the stock FPR works fine with my MSD high perf pump, and I know at least 4-5 guys on this board do use that Walbro with the stock FPR as well. If you went with a walbro and the pressure got so high the car wouldn't run, then your FPR may be bad, but I'd be much quicker to suspect you're return line was the culprit. When Tim240z first installed the MSD pump for me, I tried running it on the stock, VERY small 240z fuel return line, and yeah THEN my fuel pressure shot up, like to 60 or 80 psi I forget.... the car STILL ran, but it was definately not running right. A larger return line is the only solution here... an adjustable FPR will NOT solve this problem.

I'm the one who's always touting the $60 FPR... it's an MSD unit but apparently is manufactured by Bosch. You can get it from the Overboost store here:

http://www.overboost.com/obs/product.asp?pid=2628&cat_id=13&cat_name=Engine%20Management&sc_id=&sc_name=

I plugged in 3 different stock turbo fuel pressure regulators w/ the Walbro pump and all of them read 42 psi of pressure and the car was pig rich. I switched to a nice Aeromotive unit, adjusted the pressure to 36-37 psi and it fixed the problem. I had an issue today...driving along, anytime the car would go into boost, it would lean out and start bucking. I pulled over, unplugged the ecu, plugged it in again and viola...good as new.

God it is hard to go back to factory electronics after running a stand-alone!!

The Holley pump is made by Walbro. As are alot of other pumps. You could run their 155 or what ever the smaller one is. If you are going to need the extra fuel of the 255l/hr one there is really no way around it. The Big Walbro does move alot of fuel and the pressure is a little high on mine at idle too but I need the volume.

Guest bastaad525

really odd because I know a few guys here do run the walbro with the stock FPR's. Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Jersey... however Jersey did upgrade to an adjustable FPR, not because stock was giving him problems, I dont' think, but just so he could have some extra tuning there.

Well the MSD pump definately works fine with the stock FPR, I get about 32psi of fuel pressure at idle with the vacuum hose connected, and 40psi with it disconnected, which is right about the stock numbers. Again though, I couldn't do this with the stock 240z return line. I'm actually running the stock vapor line that is on the driver side of the engine bay, as my new return line, it's easily twice the I.D. as the stock return... I think it's about 1/4". I know the MSD doesn't flow as much as the Walbro though, if you're going for big power. The MSD IS supposedly good for up to 400+ hp though.