HybridZ

betaMotorsports E-Mail and Web Site Down

johnc

Earthlink corrupted my "zone" file (whatever the hell that is). My e-mail and web site has been down since Friday and won't be back up for another 24 to 72 hours.

They were kind enough to give me a $4.65 credit for my troubles - bastards!

- John

Welcome to my hell... For the last three months my cable connection has been down as much as it has been up... I pay $130 month for the "WHOLE" digital/ HDTV/cable internet package and I am close to unpluging it and turning it in... When it works, it is FABULOUS. When it doesn't... It flat DOESn'T and I'm cut off and can't view any higher end channels or pay channels...

What's a girl to do? :roll:

Mike

Earthlink corrupted my "zone" file (whatever the hell that is). My e-mail and web site has been down since Friday and won't be back up for another 24 to 72 hours.

They were kind enough to give me a $4.65 credit for my troubles - bastards!

- John

your "zone" file means they screwed up the DNS, so your site hostname isn't resolving. For DNS to propagate throughout the world (literally) takes 48-72 hours, as each zone normally refreshes the data at 5:15am or 5:15pm.

If you're interested, a buddy of mine runs a good hosting service - http://www.angryhosting.com Pretty reliable, for 10 bucks a month you can get 1.5 gigs storage and 50 gigs of xfer per month, which is pretty good for the price:

http://www.angryhosting.com/index.php?services&view=16

Downside is that tech support is limited to email and there's no phone support - it's designed more for the do-it-yourselfers, which is why the costs are low. One man operation type thing. I've been hosting with him (datsunracing.com) for the 2nd year now, and my service has been reliable and trouble free. Tell him aux referred you if you're interested in switching, and let me know if you need help - I can lend a helping hand if necessary

-alex

I've had excellent service from Earthlink for 5 years so I'm hoping this is a one time thing. I asked them how the zone file got screwed up, but they couldn't answer. I asked who I should talk to to get the answer, and they said their probably isn't an answer. Having worked in IT and software development for years, I know they are probably right (unless I find the moron who's updating stuff with Notepad or VI) , but now I'm on the customer end so its time to bust some balls! :D