HybridZ

Ride quailty improvement in my 240z

rustrocket

Is it as all possible to improve the ride quality of my car to satisfy my significant other?

She complains it's too loud, cold, rides too harsh. Any suggestions on what i can do to avoid having to buy another car?

I understand that this will never ride like a new car, but if it was possible to get it somewhere close, it might help.

Thanks guys.

Get new stock springs and struts, go back to factory specs on tires. Then go out and buy some dynamat to deaden the sound and insulate the cabin. If all else fails buy her a new Kia Rio and i guarantee you within three weeks of driving that thing she'll think your 240Z is the best car in the world. :mrgreen:

Warranty has been voided due to excessive abuse.

So, high mileage, eh? loose fitting parts?

The newer, more compliant models are higher maintenance and harder to work on with a lack of aftermarket support.

why, did you buy some bolt ons for the existing model? body kit?

Sell me the car and I'll even throw in a very clean 1990 Volvo 240. Nice ride, very hot heater even on low, very quiet, you can't even tell that it stalled... eh I mean it shut off to save gas. Yeah. Why do you need it to idle at stoplights right? Am I right?

It has performance like you wouldn't believe and man the air rushing through your hair with the back windows open is a real rush at 55mph on the open road. I've had it up to 85 and man was that FAST! Hey, it's imported, that means quality. Sturdy as a rock, solid as a rock, drives like a rock. New tires.

Just whatever you do, don't mention anything about safety, wives will research and damn it they find out that the Mercedes 500S is the safest car on the road through some really controted logic and before you know it you'll be selling your car and half your tools to aford the down payment on the dang thing.

My 260 has a mostly stock suspension in it, and I'm amazed at how compliant the ride is. My advice would be to replace all worn pieces in the suspension with new rubber, and go back to stock springs and struts.

For noise reduction , Brown Bread (do a web search) has been widely praised. Put it under the carpetting, on the firewall, and inside the doors and all interior body panels you can reach. Also, replace the u-channel window seals and your wind noise should go down significantly.

Good luck!

Everybody is telling me to go back to stock suspension...but it's already stock. guess i'm screwed.

First off, how do you know it's stock? Have you owned the car since it was new? Even if it is indeed stock, some of the components are probably 30 years old. Rubber wears out and gets hard after 30 years, and will significantly degrade the ride quality.

Replace all the rubber bushings and the struts, and I'll bet you'll see considerable improvement. You're not screwed, you're just assuming that what you've got is as stock as it gets. It ain't.