HybridZ

Anyone ever played Space Quest series for the PC years ago?

auxilary

Guest bastaad525

Wow what a coincidence, I just picked up the whole space quest series, and also Day of the Tentacle.

That being said, SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

When I try to play the game I get NO sound no matter what I do. I'm running Win98SE. I've tried running it in a DOS shell in windows, and also booting direct into DOS on start up, and nothing. I have fiddled with all the sound settings in the games setup option and no luck.

My soundcard is a soundblaster 128D (kind of a rare soundcard, but should be fully compatible with any soundblaster drivers or whatever). This is an actual card in a PCI slot. I also have a soundcard built in to my mother board, which is an Epox, VIA chipset board, I dunno how exactly you'd classify the soundcard but I think it's also basically a soundblaster. There are options in my BIOS for turning Legacy on and off and I"ve tried them both as well and have enabled soundblaster mode in the BIOS.

Nothings working!! I would REALLY love to play these great games (they were SO ahead of their time back then... these were out when the original 8bit NES was still the big thing!) but having no sound SUCKS!

EDIT: well just for the heck of it I tried again, this time I enabled Legacy emulation on my PCI soundblaster card. I still was not able to get any sound in the spacequest games, but in Day of the Tentacle, I was able to change the settings and get sound in that, the MIDI sound, but not the voice, if I try to leave voice on it locks up.

Hey Aux, if you like oldschool try finding a game called 'Wasteland' , it's one of my personal favs 8) it's probly freeware by now... I used to play it on my apple III, yeah... I said apple III, had to have a special card just to play apple II software :roll:

geez.... wonder if i remember this right...eons ago, my friend :)

in autoexec.bat, put in..

SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

this will assign sb card to i/o address 220, irq 5, dma 1

you MAY need dos drivers for the card. in the game setup, set up the same thing.

When I try to play the game I get NO sound no matter what I do. I'm running Win98SE. I've tried running it in a DOS shell in windows' date=' and also booting direct into DOS on start up, and nothing. I have fiddled with all the sound settings in the games setup option and no luck.

[/quote']

Get a program called DOSBox here:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/download.php?main=1

I have used it with many "abandonware" titles and it seems to work well under Win9x, WinNT, WinXP with support for older and newer sound cards in those old games. Let me know if it works for you![/url]