HybridZ

straight swap?

Guest zspeed260

Guest zspeed260

what kind of power will a stock zxt give my 74 260? with just a straight swap...im debating whether to pump up the turbo motor or just do a straight swap and then upgrade from there.....if i do a straight swap what should i do to the motor to prepare it for dependability?

thanks for the help.....

David

well it takes a tad more then that to get that kind of trap speed i think.

but some i guess have done it.

but the reason why older Z cars run faster is weight.

my blue Z is pretty much a staight swap.

but in a 77 280z, so heavier.

at stock boost it was like 168rwhp and 198lbs, and stock boost was 4psi.

ran 13.9 and car weighed in at 2580.

pretty much all stock too.

mike

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Notice I said "boost controller". 4 psi isn't much at all, so you have a lot of room for improvement. That's where 90% of the power comes from and a MBC can be had for $5... plus the cost of a boost gauge. A ghetto air filter and open exhaust will round out the package and make 12's possible.

Guest zspeed260

so for under 200 rwhp i could run 13's? ....thats awesome....and not too expensive...........im real new to all this.....

Im going to have a bunch of questions and im sure a lot of people will get mad at me...:)

My S2000 would run 13's but no torque..im kinda anxious to feel some torque .. :D

well i ran a real cheap and ghetto (but nice) boost controller that i ran on that car for awhile, yes it did help but after you turn the boost up you gotta get more fuel in there..

but your right, 12's are very easy, even more if your Z is a 240Z.

mike

Guest zspeed260

well 12's would be nice...my dad has 03 wrx...stage 4 turboxs and he runs mid 12's consistently...i hope to keep up with him...he has to have 400 hp to do that though...i will only have how much?

well 12's would be nice...my dad has 03 wrx...stage 4 turboxs and he runs mid 12's consistently...i hope to keep up with him...he has to have 400 hp to do that though...i will only have how much?

if you do the sorta basic stuff with say a nice T3/T4 turbo, 300rwhp should be pretty easy and mid 12's should be very easy to get.

mike

While high 12's is certainly achievable with stock motor, you still need a few other things to get your 260 in that range:

-Intercooler

-larger injectors, (you may get close with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and stock injectors). can adjust AFM flap to allow for 370cc injectors on the cheap.

-good fuel pump

-T3/T4 turbo (stock can get close, but may not last long, will be inefficient with high heat causing more stress on turbo and engine)

everything needs to be working properly (often not the case in old cars modified on a budget).

-high flow exhaust and boost controller, gauge and air intake as already mentioned

-need for head rebuilt (basic) if not already done may come up soon ( I would do it first).

I think more realistic with slight mods on full stock system is mid to high 13's (easy to do and very reliable). That's still quite fast, and if it all works out, (not too hard, but always more work and money than one expects) you can slowly do the rest of the mods and get to be consistently in the 12's

Oh boy here we go again.... :roll:

Welcome to the turboZ swap. There are about a dozen ways to swap and setup the motor to go fast. Read some of the threads in this forum for the past two years or more and you will get TONS of info...even pictures and videos.

I find myself urging to explain....again. :lol:

Basic Swap --change nothing, muffler shop, and some creative air filter mount. 200rwhp, 220rwt $Cheap

Stage 1 --same as above plus Grainger Valve to turn up boost, and a way to add a little more fuel if you go past 10psi. 220rwhp, 240rwt, $5-$200

Stage 2 -- ....and, bigger downpipe and exhaust, add intercooler, turn up boost a bit more 12-14psi, add a bit more fuel. 250rwhp, 275rwt, $400-$800

Stage 3 -- ....and, T3/T4 turbo (larger compressor), Programmable EFI and ignition, electronic boost control, 15-18psi, 300rwhp, 335rwt, $1200-$3000

Stage 4 -- ..and engine internals, bolts, head gasket, 18-20psi.....340+rwhp, 370+rwt, $3000 - $5000

*Don't forget brakes, suspension, and CV axles, after STAGE 1

*Add fuel using: hi-pressure-hi-volume pump, adjustable regulator, FMU, larger injectors OR all of the above.

THESE ARE ALL ESTIMATES AND ARE OFF THE TOP OF MY HEAD. JUST ROUGH GUIDELINES FEEL FREE TO EDIT, GUYS!!!!!

<<<FEEL FREE TO COPY/PASTE/REPOST MY STAGE INFO WITH EDITS>>>

:wink:

Guest zspeed260

thanks for the info..i think i will just do a straight swap now..instead of waiting to build the motor..

good power fast, cheap and reliable is very good sounding to me :)

Ok guys, how many days after the first drive will zspeed260 be asking about how to turn up the boost? I say 2 days. :lol:

Good luck and let us know how the project goes. :wink:

Here is my schedule.

"I'm leaving it stock and reliable" - 1minute.

7-10psi in 2days

10-14psi in 2 months

14-18psi in 9months

Guest bastaad525

first of all I wouldn't count on 12's with just intake exhaust and boost controller, second of all, why you saying 4psi? you mean, as in the stock turbo runs 4psi? stock turbo should run 6-7psi, mine ran 7 when I had no boost controller. You can only turn it up to about 9-10psi with no I/C or your risk your motor. A 260 weighs 100-200lbs more than a 240, by the way. Fastes 240 I've seen without an I/C was Jersey's car, which ran a 13.3 at 10psi, stock everything, no I/C, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust. And he is more the exception than the rule, as most others were higher in the 13's with same setups. I would count on high 13's in a 260 unless you really drive it well. He weighed his car at around 2300lbs.

PS: in regards to Cygnus' post about the different stages of the swap, don't forget to get a BOV! This is even more important than the boost controller!

Ok guys' date=' how many days after the first drive will zspeed260 be asking about how to turn up the boost? I say 2 days. :lol:

Good luck and let us know how the project goes. :wink:

Here is my schedule.

"I'm leaving it stock and reliable" - 1minute.

7-10psi in 2days

10-14psi in 2 months

14-18psi in 9months[/quote']

Heh.. My buddy got his Volvo 850 Turbo and about 5 days later he's asking me.. "Hey.. how do I do that manual boos controler thing to my car? You know, fool it so it boosts' more?" :lol:

don't forget to get a BOV! This is even more important than the boost controller!

actually the car has a factory BOV equivalent (different system than traditional BOV) that works quite well for boost up to 10-12 psi. So it does not need an aftermarket BOV until you exceed the factory system.