HybridZ

How do I tell what "size" turbo I have on my new V

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I have a turbo on my V8 Z swap engine, and I'd like to know if it's a good size for my application.

The compressor housing says "Air Research CMI-5 A/R .60" in raised lettering, and the tag on it says "T04B30". I can't really tell what the stamped lettering on the turbine housing says because it's rusty. There are also numbers staped onto the outlet that look like they say "175 25", but it's only partially stamped. The part number is 409900-1.

What do I need to look for to know the flow rating and all the other numbers for it? I want to make sure that it's going to work for what I want.

turbo350.jpg

z_turbo2.jpg

z_turbo.jpg

I believe that is a straight t4 with the B housing. It's a either a 57 or 60 trim IIRC.

The turbo is good for high 400's. It is a decent turbo for your application.

IMO, it might be a little small because a t04b doesn't move as much air. The exhaust housing's decent sized. You would want to use 2 t04b turbos with .81 exhaust a/r, one per each bank of 4 cylinders if you want to make quite a bit of power. A t04E with 1.15 or larger exhaust a/r would work wonders in a single turbo setup in your case.

The downpipe comment referred to 2 sharp 90* angles it makes. Air doesn't like angles, so if you can transition it into smoother bends and 45* angles, you'll get a whole lot more power. Turbos don't like back pressure, so teh faster you can move air out, the better it'll work.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I'll be redoing the piping when I install it in the Z in a couple weeks. I'll put in as straight a DP as I can, and as big as possible. I'm also going to try to install an intercooler if I can find a good deal on one... any idea what size I need? I also need to build a sealed box around the carb. I have my work cut out for me for sure, but it should be fun.

I'll consider upgrading to a T04e like you said, but unless I find one for cheap I'll probably try the current turbo first. I'm building the car for my wife, and she said she'll be happy with and 11 second car, lol, so it shouldn't take much to get it where she wants it. She wants to whoop Vipers. I figure it'll take about 450hp to do that. I'm thinking 500hp will be the MOST she'll need. We plan to add a 100hp shot of nitrous as well, so on spray it should be a beast. We're going to keep the power under 6000rpm to avoid rod and crank expenses.

Guest znow white

i agree frank on that downpipe you ask how so simple lol look at the bend of the down pipe its like 90 degrees and probally another 45 degree under or greater. turbos like to breath not like na's go with a straight mandrel bend all the way! or even just changing the dp to a smoother bend well increase hidden power. should sound mean , v8 deep throatiness + turbo sound = :twisted:

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

It does sound mean. The DP exits in the fender well and has no muffler or anything. I took the car for a drive at about midnight last night and woke up the neighborhood.

When I get it installed in the Z I'm going to use larger DP piping and install some kind of straight-through muffler. I'm removing the engine from the donor car today.