HybridZ

Take a look at these pics + in need of some buying advice

Guest Script

Take a look at these pics + in need of some buying advice

Frame%201.jpg

Frame%202.jpg

Take a look at the weld lines in these pictures. In the first pic you can see them easily but the one in the second picture is a little glared. But I think I see a weld spot on the opposite side in the same place (2nd pic).

Any way im wandering if those welds should be there or if the vehicle has been wrecked. It is a 71 240Z thats all i know about it, it is a a 240 that is currently on ebay.

I’m frustrated with this car hunt. I don’t know what to look for, and I can’t find a whole lot of cars here locally. I found a couple but they are missing parts like bumpers and stuff, one thing that I want with the car is the right bumpers. I haven’t even seen any bumpers for sale so I imagine it would be expensive to replace them.

And the only other cars I find are completely restored and way out of my price range. I just need something in the middle. I can find stuff on ebay which is where I got those pics im showing you. But how can you be sure about something you haven’t crawled under and seen. Many auctions don’t have shots of under the car, it just seems risky.

If you have any advice to give me I would really appreciate it. Like what to look for, what to ask the owner about the car, what can be replaced easily and what cant. What to expect from a car with X amount of miles on it ect…

On a side note, what is the cost of a typical paint job? I’m talking decent and thorough, door jams, engine bay ect… And I mean complete from prep work to glossy finish, what do you think a body shop would charge? (Assuming I had a straight body car) I just ask because im trying to get an idea of what I want to already be done to the car before I buy it and what I can handle by my self.

Basically it is like this, I have a TOTAL budget of 4k to get this project started. Now im conflicted on whether to buy a car that has been painted and has a good interior and a good running engine/trans that will cost every bit of my 4k.

Or to get a car that is a little rougher around the edges and use what’s left over to start gathering materials for the swap. I could get a fixer upper and still afford a V8 on top of that, or almost afford one. But then body, paint, interior, will still need attention.

Any help or opinions?

I’m done wasting your time.

-Script-

Do Not buy a car sight unseen! Even the best pics can not substitute crawling around under the car. Buy a nicer car to start with. Drive it enjoy it get to know it. Then maybe start to mod it. Keep looking, tou will find the right car. Keep saving and maybe you will ahve to spend a little more than you want but if you get the right car it will be worth it. Also, don't be afraid to walk away from whaat seems like a deal if it is not what you want. I've been there, Mark

PS, those welds are not stock but that is about all I can tell form those pics.

I don't know how anyone could buy a car from someone they don't know sight unseen. You have to look at the car. If you really want to buy an ebay car you need to be willing to travel to see the car, then be equally prepared to walk away if it isn't everything it is suppose to be.

Like Mike said, 4K will buy you a good Z, or it will cover the cost of a budget V8 swap, or it could be completely consumed by a quality paint job. Paint is time consuming and expensive to do right. Hard to imagine 4K doing all three. I also think most guys will agree it is much cheaper to buy a V8Z than to build one. With very few exceptions the things don't sell for anywhere near what guys put into them.

As for those welds, the early Z's were notorious for collapsing the frame rails at the sway bar mounts. Nissan corrected this in later Z's. Those pictures look like someone did a quality job of reinforcing the frame rails with extra steel. If the rest of the car is solid and straight, then who cares if it had been in an accident?

I agree - if the car can be aligned properly and is in otherwise good shape, having some repair work done on it isn't necessarily a deal breaker. It's not like you're buying a new car, or one you want to restore to 100 point condition.

Given your budget, I'd concentrate on getting a car that was in good mechanical shape with dull paint, rather than getting a pretty car that needs mechanical work. You can drive a car w/o pretty paint, but you can't drive one with a bad driveline or brakes.