HybridZ

How do you get insured?

Guest V8Datsun

I insure my 240Z hybrid and my VW-based kitcar through J.C.Taylor in Upper Darby, PA. as "specialty cars". But the rules limit me to 2500 miles/year on each of them and no one under 25 can drive the cars. The premium is about $350 a year (yes, a year) for both cars comprehensive, fire and theft, and million dollar liability. I'm 63 which probably has something to do with it. You should ask them if they'd sell insurance to you.

i have my meyers manx dune buggy insured through ca automotive association of america .. Csaaa ... triple A ... no restrictions on mileage.

my z car is also insured through triple a. i tried to tell em that it had a replacement engine ... but they didn't seem to care.

remember ... it's a replacement engine ... not an engine swap ...

i pay $325 for the dune buggy and $325 for the z, covers anyone i damage, but not me ... i have medical through work and there is no coverage on either car as far as theft or damage.

that will change, once should i ever get my fiat, i mean z on the road ...

I have both my 690HP Monte SS and my boys 650HP Z insured with Allstate. They are both specialty cars and when I want to drive them I call them and tell them when I'm driving. Insurance for the Monte is $250/year for full coverage and the z is $200/year for full coverage. No restrictions on drivers, mileage. I drive them on the street on weekends and sometimes during the week in the summers to street spank, i mean race the locals.

:lol:

Actually Pyro's advice is not all that bad. If you won't have a significant investment in the car I would start out that way. Once you have an established reputation with the company you can ask for increase coverage due to vehicle upgrades & modifications.

One thing you might want to do is find an independent insurance agent that could investigate several different companies for you. There are several you want to stay far away from and others that are pretty good.

Call around and inquire about Stated Value policies. Some companies won't require an appraisal. The collectors car insurance companies ("Specialty Car") seem to be better.

No question, your age is going to be the big problem. Might have a guardian insure it as a primary driver and list you as a 'possible' or secondary driver.

FWIW

Tell the insurance company EVERYTHING!!!!

If they find out after the fact, they can deny the claim, and if you hit someone else, you will be stuck with the bills.....this is not the time to be vague.

When I got my insurance ($20k agreed value coverage), I emailed the insurance agent a link to my website. That way there is no confusion....they have been notified....

Also, keep in mind that if your vehicle is not legal (ie does not have correct equipment re: State and Federal vehicle code), you could also be denied the claim. Be specific....

I guess it all depends how many lawyers you have in your state. hahah

However, I think the chances would be pretty low to have an insurance agent look under your hood after a fender bender. Get the minimum insurance and drive carefull. I guess if you crash bad enough to throw the engine out on the street it could case problems.

Face it. You are 17. It will be very hard and very expensive to get insurance if you tell them everything. Those insurance companies think a stock Z is fast! HAHAHAH. I guess they didn't see Full Throttle with the two 240s. You know, the fastest Z made. hahaha. So, you are already in a high risk catagory with just a stock Z.

But in the end, it is up to you. Well, I need to go. I have some guns that I need to bury out in the back yard just in case G-men try to take me in.