HybridZ

87 Z31 5 speed mated to L28et

pallnet

Look like I may be getting a 87 turbo 5 speed from a friend. I would really love to use it in my S30. This should pretty much remove all my worries about tranny failure for a good long time.

Anyone out there done this before? If so, I need to know the details. I have a good idea of what I have to do but, all info helps..

I really don't know wanything about the lengths of the two but, what about the L-28 bell housing and then use an adapter plate that could be used between the bell housing and the Z31 turbo trans.

Anyone have any specs on the Z31 tranny. I heard they are strong but, I have no proof.

In the next few weeks (months)I could possibly look at this if I had a Z31 tranny to play with. Anyone want to donate one? It wouldn't have to be any good.

I have a good "B" box in my car right now and still trying to panout the deal on the Z31 parts. I do not have them in my posession just yet. I have a few motors laying around that i can put the tranny against to see that will need to be done. This is a back burner idea at the moment but not too far back. I feel that my tranny that's in my car right now will be nick named "The lunchbox", not too long from now. My new setup is putting out some serious torque. I will post what I figure out when i get the parts. Then I will post what i'm doing as I do it.

Ok what ya need to do is get some sticky tires out back. Take it to the track. Shift at 6300 to 6500 RPM's without letting off the gas. That'll blow it and we can get on to this other info. J/K

I may see if I can round up a Z31 turbo tranny and take a look at it all. I've got an engine and the B/W tranny to compare things with.

I believe the starter is on the opposite side of the tranny as well.

I was looking at one next to my T5 and they were definitely reversed.

That may be why someone was talking about cutting the both bell housings in half to adapt the two.

The starter is on the R/H side, same as L28. I had time to measure the 87 turbo tranny against the Z31 n/a tranny and it is approx 35 inches long, 2 or so inches longer than the n/a tranny. It is a LOT heavier tranny, center bearing carrier is totally different than earlier trannies, so looks like the bellhousing will have to be cut off and welded to a L series flange. Cheaper than the G-force T5 conversion, but more work. I've done something similar before, as there is a Plymouth Scamp running around here with a L28 5spd mated to a 225 slant. :roll:

I like the looks of the integral shifter, and output shaft, u joint size. I have a hard time launching the 240 on slicks, knowing that the tranny and driveshaft are the weak links. Good thing I have a CFDF clutch to ease the power down(read - slip)

Doug