HybridZ

Anyone have a gear drive for their cam?

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I'm looking for sound clips of a cam gear drive for my wife to hear. She's never heard one but thinks she wants one on her Z. I'm warning her that they're loud, but she's dead set on it.

I have run a gear drive on my 350 and 383 240Z. If you want to you can purchase what they call a quiet gear drive that is alot quietter. I no longer run one but I remember Smokey Yunick (not sure if that is spelled correctly) the sbc motor master guru saying they are the way to go.

I personally got tired of the noise. I guess as you get older you get tired of all the racket. Mine wasn't as quiet as some but not near as noisy as others I heard. I will sell it to anyone who want to pay 40 bucks plus shipping. I guess first I shouls see if I can find it in the garage :oops:

Mike

Guest 240zJake
Mike, are the gear drives that much better than the chain or belt configurations?

The reason they are liked is they do not stretch or break like a chain or belt, Im not sure how much of an issue that is on a daily driver though

• 2 weeks later...

IVE been useing and am currently still useing gear cam drives in most of the engines I build, they ARE more consistant and DO NOT tend to develope SLACK like most chain cam drives, do over time!

get the QUIET VS the noisy cam drive! (trust me here! the QUIET drive still has a noticable WHINE when the engines running , the NOISY drives WILL!! make both YOU and EFI INJECTION KNOCK SENSORS CRAZY after awhile!

they (GEAR cam DRIVES) are NOT fool proof, YOU NEED to install them CORRECTLY!!!

THEY are ALMOST TROUBLE FREE AND NEARLY INDESTRUCTABLE IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

We ride loud motorcycles, so my wife doesn't mind the noise.

I'm going to start out with a quiet one purchased from a member of Hybrid Z, and if that's not noisy enough for her I'll install a noisy one. She's also considering using a TurboXS RFL blow-off valve; RFL stands for "Real F##king Loud". We're running a 3" open downpipe with no muffler.

IVE been useing and am currently still useing gear cam drives in most of the engines I build' date=' they ARE more consistant and DO NOT tend to develope SLACK like most chain cam drives, do over time!

[b']get the QUIET VS the noisy cam drive! [/b]

they (GEAR cam DRIVES) are NOT fool proof, YOU NEED to install them CORRECTLY!!!

THEY are ALMOST TROUBLE FREE AND NEARLY INDESTRUCTABLE IF INSTALLED CORRECTLY

That's all good food for thought. I can hear the "quiet" gear drives at times, but I was a guy's Mustang that I swear I could not hear in or out of the car-it was a 289 V8. I have always been in the market for a good gear drive, and the prices seem to have dropped considerably over time. I installed a new double roller timing chain before I caught on the gear drives. If I had to do it over again, I would just go quiet gear drive the first time. I was only trying to save money, which is not always the best thing to do.

Davy