HybridZ

WRX R180 LSD Centre

Guest Bris280zx

Guest Bris280zx

Hey guys, i can obtain a STi WRX R180 LSD Centre, i'm wondering if the centre is interchangeable with the stock 280zx R180 dif? i.e. pull the stock R180 Centre out and put the LSD Cente in.

R200 LSD's are rare here so the R180 LSD would be a nice light option.

TIA

Mat.

That is actually a popular swap on this board. Do a search to find out if it is bolt in or not. A lot of talk about strength, but there are a few guys who have run them for long periods of time without failure. They are cheap enough here that even if they blow it is cheaper than an R200.

Also R200 LSD's aren't that common anywhere

Guest Bris280zx

I'm guessing the LSD Centre will drop in but i would require the STi stubs. So people have done the LSD centre swap? i have searched the forums alot and couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks for the replies.

The Subie diff centre is a viscous LSD - AFAIK only the competition diff's are plate type. The bolts holding the carrier to the ring gear are larger than those on the Nissan R180 ring gear , so you need to sleeve the holes in the carrier to take the smaller ring gear bolts. However - you can bolt the complete Subie diff in to a Z - you just need to change the front flange to a Nissan flange.

On my setup, the stub axles were turned down from the CV flange, and a standard datsun flange was welded on. Needless to say, warpage is an issue, and getting the half shaft off the flange requires a chisel between the flanges :(

The diff centre is O.K. Better than an open diff, but you can still get a wheel spinning quite easily around corners. A plate type sdiff is a better prospect, because you can shim the diff up to the breakaway torque you want - with the viscous centre, you are stuck with what you get. As for life expectancy - my diff develop a whine and dark brown oil after 18 months on the street behind my RB20DET.

Guest Bris280zx

Hmmm i really need to get an R200 LSD, i doubt it can get a Clutch style LSD for a good price, i'm looking at around 600 - 700 for the diff (Be it R180 LSD or R200 LSD)

How much is the RB20Det putting out, i'm looking at around 200+ KW's at the wheels with my L28ET Build.

Thanks, good to see some Auzzie Hybridz on here ;)

Mat.

Hmmm i really need to get an R200 LSD' date=' i doubt it can get a Clutch style LSD for a good price, i'm looking at around 600 - 700 for the diff (Be it R180 LSD or R200 LSD)

Mat.[/quote']

You can get either the R180 or R200 LSD units from differentials.com or reiderracing for $525-550. A friend just got one installed in his R180 with 3.36 gears for his VG30DETT powered 510. Do it to it!!

The R180 LSD situation is one I'll be looking at soon but there does not sem to be any easy/cheap used parts option. You can let me know how you go Mat, we may be able to help each other. One thing that is on the agenda is CV jointed axles to go with the R180.

Yeh I'm in the Z Car Club, meeting this Thursday night I think.

Guest Bris280zx

Hmm This Thursday, I havent even been to one of the meets yet and ive been in the club for a year, i went to the first "Luv a Coffeee" run, i have the Burgandy 280zx.

Well i missed a Z31 LSD by a day so i'm not happy about that.

From what i can gather you can use the 180 LSD Centre but you need to get the Subaru Axel Stubs. And that coould be colse to impossable!

If we go the R200 option, we would definatly need the CV shafts

Mat.