HybridZ

RB30 Turbo conversion

Guest Dabro

Hi guys.

I am wanting to build a RB30 twincam turbo to fit in a 280Z.

Anybody out there done this? Anyone have info on engine mounts, box mounts or box types to use, clearance issues e.t.c Anything will help!!

There are probably not too many US guys who have done this swap, but I'm sure some of our NZ'ers and Aussie's might.

Since I'm gearing up for my RB25DET swap I've been scouring the net for RB information and I've come across one site in particular that might be some help. Although Skyline oriented, there are quite a few people there who have swapped all manner of RB's into various vehicles. There's even some of our own HybridZ guys who are members there :wink: !

Keith

Skylines Down Under

Thanks I will look into it. How about nissan parts swapping to made it stop, Handle do you know of any easy, cheap upgrades?

I had though of the electronically ajustable suspension from a mid 80's 300z as these have similar if not the same running gear set up. I had a friend with a car with this and it worked very well!!

where did you get a 280Z from in Australia?

I am doing this conversion into a 260Z.

You will need custom mounts everywhere, as well as tail shaft and sump. Clearances are not and issue as your custom mounts will position things wherever you want.

Look at the hundred other RB threads in this forum, search funtion will help.

You will need adequate suspension and big brakes to make it safe/roadworthy and you will also need to work on your chassis to remove any rust and strengthen it to stop the torque from twisting your car apart.

It is very expensive and time consuming, make sure you have the budget to finish before you start.

I do not yet have a Z car. My plan is to build an engine first ensuring turbo e.t.c has clearance to towers e.t.c and then spend the money on the best car i can find or afford. I hate doing panel work so would rather just try to worry about the running gear on a good platform.

Have you finished your engine conversion?

what pistons did you use?

Looking around at forums it seems like most are fairly unsure of what to do!!

I am thinking custom forgies unless someone does a kit to suit!!

Any ideas?

My browser is playing up and I just lost my long reply.

In short:

My car is not finished.

The RB30 is one of the most developed motor in the australian aftermarket industry, you will have no problems finding off the shelf forged pistons.

I am using OEM internals as these have been proven to be plenty strong for up to around 300rwkw+, it is more about tuning then forged internals.

Forums at skylinesaustralia.com have an 80 page thread dedicated to the RB30DET.

Good straight Z's are rare and expensive and have been for the last couple years in Australia.

280Z was only sold in the USA

Thanks I will look.

You say OEM internals. Does this include pistons?

If so what did your compression ratio turn out to be?

As you say standard internals are proven to be strong. My cousin in N.Z had a NA R32 with a RB25 which he put RB25 turbo gear straight onto.

This went very well and he put over 70,000kms on it without a problem b4 selling it. Never even blew a puff of smoke!! Oil that is.

wanting a minimum of 400fw horses with as much torque as i can get for budget. Dont think this is to outrageous at the moment but I am sure you can understand how things have a habbit of getting out of hand once you get into it. where i end up I an not to sure yet. But it will be daily driven car or a worst 3/4 days a week so cant be to much of a pig!!

The turbo 3.0 has torque, dont worry.

The 240Z/260Z is light and is RWD not FWD :wink:

You need to set your budget and work out how much labour you will do and how much you will be paying for.

Also check out autotrader.com and see how much good cars go for if there are any.

I would budget at least $30k to do it well with you doing a lot of the labour.

Yeah thats about what i was figuring. I have seen good cars for about 10k, Was thinking about another 10 on engine + management e.t.c and the rest for whatever comes up along the way. I have a Rb 30 short block, complete Rb25de (no harness or computer), the beginnings of what could be a good exhaust manifold and a gtir intercooler(not sure if its going to do the job at the moment) this all came together and whats started this mission. I have wanted to do this for a few years now and the stuff was cheap so had to take it at the time. As for Rwd nissans I have spent the last 5 mins trying to figure out how to reduce a photo to 6kb of a 280 i had with a worked 3500 v8 in it. Sacralege i know but i brought it like that and it gave allot of people a good scare so what the hell, it had a gass pedal :D

I will most likely do all fabrication e.t.c myself as well as building the engine e.t.c Not really big on paying for much apart from parts e.t.c I have to buy.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a link to Skylines Australia

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15420&page=1&pp=25&highlight=rb30det

It has to be the longest forum I have ever seen! 80 plus pages. There is lots of information in there.

More helpful info. This is a Do it Yourself RB30DET information guide.

http://www.geocities.com/r32_jjc/rb30det/diyrb30det.zip

I have an RB30 block and am in the process of fitting an RB26DETT head on it. It is going to be a long drawn out process for me.

• 7 months later...

See my signature below, i am currently doing this conversion, I am very busy at work at the moment. But when i get a chance over the next couple of days i will put together a reply to as many of these questions as i can. As others have already said this hybrid engine is a very popular conv in NZ and Aust in the Skyline scene and there has been much written about it on many different forums.

skylinesdownunder, skylinesaustralia, vlturbo etc etc, do a google search in the meantime and see what you come up with.

The RB30 bottem end is very strong and the standard internals are good for up to about 600HP, thats all i'm going to use for up to that power level.

Clint T