HybridZ

280z and 300zxt swap-ability

Guest 280z400

Guest 280z400

I am in possession of both a 76 280z and an 85 300zxt. I'm scraping the 300zxt and building a vg30et 280z.

I've already got the engine and tranny bolted up together, and mounted in the 280z. My solution to the tranny mount was to set the 280z mount on the T5 (BTW bolted right up) and for oil pan clearances and shifter clearances my brother and I put the tranny mount 2 1/4 inches backfrom the stock position. Neatly puting the mount directly behind its self. And to secure it all together 2 1/4" by 1/2" pipe spacers and a couple of 6" by 1/2" bolts, fine threaded with locking nuts and washers to boot.

The motor mounts are coming i need another motor bracket, as i threw mine away accidentally. The engine was rebuilt with quality rings and bearings. And all nissan factory gaskets. The pressure plate is an ACT Heavy Duty, and the clutch is a solid hub, 6 puck kevlar (formerly copper ceramic). My solution to the steering clearance will be custom turbo headers.

I'm not aware of any items that i could swap from my 300zxt to my 280z that would bolt up. I've heard rumors about the z31 hubs being used but thats about it. Is anyone anyone aware of any bolt on upgrades for my 280z from my 300zxt?

Do the diff it is a LSD - I would also consider the CV half-shafts, brakes (do a search in the brakes setction for Z31 and Toyota caliper), if you do the cv half-shafts you will need to modify the companion flange, and if you do swap the front hubs (this can be done - lots of member of this site have this mod) you will need to change the rear stub axles to 5x4.5 also. Lots of info on these topic already so have a good look around in the old posts. Also if you visit the vendors forum (non-tech) you will see what vendors offer to help with these mods - ie companion flanges for CV conversion etc

Mike

The diff isn't an upgrade... maybe overseas the 85 300zxt came with an LSD but it didn't over here. It also isn't exactly a straight swap. (but it isn't too hard to do)

You allready should have a R200 in your car, so swapping to another R200 seems a bit pointless, unless it is the gearing change you are after. With the increase in torque you are getting however, I suspect your gearing in the 280z should be just about perfect. (assuming it is a 3.54:1 R200)