HybridZ

280ZX Drawings

Chewievette

Well I spent the last hour or so sketching out what I want my ZX to look like. This is the first Z I've drawn so please forgive my mistakes. I said drawings in the subject because This is going to be the first of many. I'll be doing a front view tomorrow. Anyways, here it is:

Picture1sm.jpg

I havn't quite decided on the tail lights or the exhaust yet, but I think this version looks pretty good. I'm also not too sure exactly how to tie the rear flares into the rear deck, so I just left the sharp line. Let me know what you think, Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I FINALLY got around to doing the front drawing! You should be able to pick out HUGE differences between this drawing and my first drawing. I've been thinking long and hard about what exactly I want to do it and here's what I've come up with. I'm still debating about the taillights but I'm getting closer to deciding.

You'll notice that it has mjp's g-nose(very similar anyways) and custom headlight covers. btw, would anyone be interested in these covers if I did a group buy for like a dozen? The 'Stinger' hood is a carry over from when I wanted to put a sbc in it, I like it so it'll probably stay. The stock hood is far too flat for my taste. Fender flares have disappeared and I've decided to stick with stock wheel size until I redo the rear end and tub the wells 2-3inches. Of course the convertable stayed, well acctually now its a roadster since I have yet to see a conv top that I like. I also want to do side pipes but I just couldn't get them to look right so they are not present.

100_5781a.jpg

My biggest fear right now is that drop top will weaken the car too much. For those that dont know I'm going to be putting a BMW V12 in the car, so with mods I'll be looking at 450-500hp. maybe more in the future. I'm very scared that the power will turn it into a pretzel. So I'm in the middle of designing a 'roll cage' that will basically take over the stresses from the unibody.

Guest comeandzpa

Very nice, I like the look. I've always thought that the 280ZX would look nice as a convertible. Have you made any decisions about the exhaust setup yet? I've always liked the look of Terry (blueovalz)'s exhaust work. I think that that type of integration into the rear bumper would look pretty sweet on a ragtop (or topless :shock: ) ZX. Just a suggestion, although I agree that sidepipes would look pretty badazz as well. Keep up the good work!

Perhaps these would interest you:

I believe new wheels have been installed since then.

All I see are red X's perhaps you could provide a Link to that page? Thanks.

I've been in contact with the guy that built this car and I REALLY like the look of these sidepipes. and since they are readily available from summit I think I'll be ordering a set ...when I get that far.

539429_10_full.jpg

Pic 1: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/721000-721999/721840_8_full.jpg

Pic 2: http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/721000-721999/721840_11_full.jpg

BTW, that is NOT my car -- I don't want to take credit for that guy's work -- especially his awesome fiberglassing skills (nothing against you Terry, I'll always consider you the best after I've seen what you can do with it :wink: )

• 3 months later...

Fresh off the drawing board! I just finished the next round of pics this time my mind was on graphics, I didn't do too many body mods to the car but I did try to represent the fender flares with shading, I think it ended in miserable failure but that's just me. As you can probably tell, I took the ZXR theme and started running with it. I still have some more images swirling around in my head and a few different colors combos not revolving around blue, white, or silver. Let me know what you think. (sorry for the bmp file type, the conversion to jpg really killed the color)

First one is Silver with Black, Red, and Orange stripes (the orange didn't show up very well) I lightened the area around the logos so it would be easier to see, the real car would be solid black. Also the center stripe on all of these cars would be painted to match the side stripes.

zx4.bmp

The second one is White with Black, Lime green, and Medium Green stripes.

zx2.bmp

Third is Medium Blue with Black and Light Blue stripes.

zx3.bmp

This last one is more racing inspired with the Huge ZXR script, I wanted something that stood out a bit more. Colors are the same as the stock ZXR paint scheme.

zx5.bmp

Hmmmm I bet my ZXR would look sweet with that front bumper.... anyway I like the idea and have too thought of basically building a ZXTT and using the ZXR scheme but ZXTT in the logo... so I obviously like that idea...

the HUGE ZXR door logo looks rice-ish to me but atleast you got the logo correctly drawn ;)

the large ZX in the quarter looks nice tho, I've seen it on one of the IMSA cars (not electromotive)

the large ZX in the quarter looks nice tho, I've seen it on one of the IMSA cars (not electromotive)

Is it this one or does another car have it too? This pic is where I got the idea from. (and the center stripes too)

Lime_Rock-1984-05-28u-095.jpg

The scheme with the large ZXR would get other "racing stickers" applied as the parts are installed on the car. but now that you mention it, it does look a bit ricer to me as well.

I can't see any of the drawings. I would love to see them. The Blue topless ZX is mine. Here is a link for it latest pictures

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/768663/2

I admit the body lines on my Blue ZX are not 100% the way I wanted but it's the best I could do.

Edit: OK I went to your page and saw the drawings. I like the idea of the hoops behind the seats. I think I will do that to my ZX. However the rear of the ZX is not that short as compare to your drawings. Also the front of the ZX will be a PITA to change it into a different look. I would add some fender vents. You will need some serious frame reenforcement. I thought I did a good job on the frame reenforcement but when I worked on the exhaust system I had the whole car on the lift I can see the back end pulling a little from the door. I will give it some more thought this next winter.

Yes! The hoops would be tall enough to be functional! Even though this car wont be raced It will be going down the highway at considerable speed and the more protection the better!

VinhZXT- Are you talking about the first pic when you talk about the rear being too short because that first drawing I did is the Only one that is 100% freehand the rest I traced the outline of a real car and then drew in my mods. So all of them except the first should be fairly accurate. I dont think I put my newest drawings up on my cardomain yet, I'll do that in a minute. If I do end up chopping the top off I will be doing some Major reinforcement work before I cut anything! Those hoops are built into the structure which consists of a spaceframe style backbone running down the center of the car and beefier frame rails. the backbone would tie into the rear structure at the roll hoops and extend further into the back end of the car. The front of the backbone will tie into a reinforced firewall and the front suspension. Basically It'll be like a roll cage only less visable. I have some drawings completed of this but I havn't had the time to scan and post them yet.

Edit - I just updated my Cardomain for anyone who whats to check it out there.

Dave,

Your re-enforcement frame sounds like bullet proof. I would like to see some pictures so I can modify mine. Yes I will be adding the 2 hoops behind the seats this winter. I don't think the car will pass safety inspection without the hoops. While I am at it I will strengthen my frame some more. I will keep checking your cardomain page for update pictures. Thanks