HybridZ

My Happiest Day, 911 + Nurburgring.

cyrus

My Happiest Day, 911 + Nurburgring. Ok actually when I got married, or when raced at.... never mind. I went on a business trip to Dusseldorf, Germany. After my trade show, we went to rent a 911, 40 anniversary addition that has the optional 18's, 2004(?). The rental people were a big problem after reserving this car weeks in advance and meeting all kinds of criteria, reading there German agreement they denied me picking up the car because I did not have a Diners Card or American Express. I asked for a manager like 3 or 4 times, which they could not produce. I had my retail agreement in hand and explained that I HAD fulfilled my end of the contract repeatedly. Possessing a great deal of persistent (as all successful hybriders do) I wore them down until they finally relinquished the car. All the while the agents were complaining in German about with the internet anyone could rent a 911 etc, not knowing that my wife speaks Germany and understood them.

So we headed south past Koln along windy little tiny roads and obscure villages. We came into Nurburg which is a one street village. The weather was always somewhat wet which made a 911 about the last choice for going fast.

Ok so get this, you buy tickets (14 euro) at a little booth and just insert them into machine like at a parking garage and go! There are no requirements for the track other than if you get rear ended while on the left it is your fault (normal in Germany), do not stop, and wear your seat belt. I was told that the Track is considered a toll road! I even overtook a tour bus on the Track! The track is 22 km long and surrounds several villages. This thing literally made me think of living in Germany. I did seven laps and did not crash my Porsche. The straight is about 2 miles long (literally), but is sectioned in to thirds for our day, bumpy too. I got up to 215 km but was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO scared because the pavement was wet and bump and the car would dance around.

As far as the my assessment of the 911, is that is a wonderful track car and a terrible: road, GT, comfort, commute, drag race car. The most important thing was that is was consistent in its response so you could learn to predict it, but it was not that powerful. I have got pictures if someone would like to host them.

Cyrus

I've hit 230+ mph on that straight stretch. The banked corners rock as well.

On xbox. In a ferrari enzo.

I drove on that track in my dreams for several days after getting project gotham racing 2 on xbox. must have been a blast to drive it for real.

Bill