HybridZ

Installing Gland Nut

I've searched and found a lot of people had trouble removing the gland nuts from their struts (luckily I was able to remove mine fairly easily). What I haven't found is how to install new ones. I am in the process of putting my front suspension back together and the front gland nuts need to be torqued down. The service manual talks about a special tool for this, but I was wondering if I could get by without this special tool.

As always, any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Just use a pipe wrench. Be sure to hand thread the gland nut as far as you can as it is easy to cross thread. Use the search button as there has been a lot written about the gland removal.

I did research on the special gland wrench and it cost over $100.00. If you find one cheap please post the info here.

Miles

What I'm trying to figure out is how to torque the gland nut. I can tighten it with a pipe wrench, but how can i torque it correctly? The link doesn't mention how to get 45 ft lbs. of torque using a pipe wrench. Do you just guesstimate?

The link doesn't mention how to get 45 ft lbs. of torque using a pipe wrench. Do you just guesstimate?

Pretty much. If you have used a torque wrench for some time, you will know what 45 lbs. feels like. If you haven't, then really snug the gland nut down, but don't put so much force on it that you are turning red in the face. If the gland nut bottoms out, then throw a washer(s) in the bottom of the strut tube.

!M!

Bartman,

Just one word of caution! Protect the chromed strut shaft....in the event your wrench slips off while you are tightening the gland nut. Dings in the shaft will = leaks and insert replacement. There's just not much of a wrench flat on these gland nuts, so be careful.

Thanks for all the replies! :D

I got one installed Sunday, and I was careful not to damage the strut cartridge shaft. I also:

• Cleaned up my lower perch removal cut to allow the top of the adjustable coilover sleeve to sit just below the gland nut.
    Added ATF to the strut before installing cartridge
    Ensured that the gland nut to top of strut cartirdge was within spec (The tokico's came with spec's, somewhere around .05" I believe)