HybridZ

question about airbox for mukini's

heavy85

I'm in the process of building an airbox for my tripple Mikuni's and wonder if what looks like an opening just above the throat is really anything or not. Can I just bolt the airbox on and cover these up or do they need fresh air for some reason? If I remember it seems that when I rebuilt them I could fill this cavity with carb cleaner and it would run out somewhere else like it was suppose to bring in air for the choke or maybe vent the float chamber or something?

Thanks

Cameron

It sounds like you are referring to the vent for the float bowl. In theory it should be vented to the same space as the air entering the carb throat. This will allow some mixture compensation for any air restrictions. For example, without compensation, a restrictive (clogged) air filter will lower the absolute air pressure in the throat of the carb, result in a slightly richer mixture. By venting the float bowl to the same space the float bowl “sees” this reduced pressure and there is some mixture compensation.

Basic Carb 101 stuff.....

Thanks - it makes sense (spel?) that those would be vents for the floats I just wasn't sure exactly what they were for. In that case then definitely they should be vented to the airbox. Now that I know what they are I need to add a couple extra holes to the baseplate otherwise those vents will be blocked :oops:

Cameron