HybridZ

Differential lube for Nissan clutch pack type LSD

Hey guys, I just purchased a R200 LSD carrier for my street toy. I am curious about what type of gear oil/friction additive you would recommend to use? I found a used carrier from a 1986 200SX Turbo, from a place in Rancho Cordova, Ca. called Sunrise Foreign Auto Dismantling, for $250.00

I was getting so frustrated coming out of a corner hard and having the inside tire cut loose. I think I would have prefered to install a Quaife unit, but at approximately $1300.00 I think I can live with a $250.00 clutch pack type differential. So, what gear lube do you think I should use?

I didn't think that any of the 200SX's came with LSD. Have you received the carrier yet? That would be one more Nissan legend verified.

As to your lube question you can use any regular lube if you use a tube of LSD additive. Additives are all the same, regardless if they say Chrysler, Ford, GM, etc on the tube. If you want to go spiffy on the lube you can use synthetic, I'm sure some of our Amsoil reps will chime in. :wink: I run SWEPCO 201 in mine. No additive necessary. SWEPCO is a popular gear lube for Porsches, and you can find it fairly easily in German parts houses, it's also very popular with farmers for their equipment FWIW... :shock:

Thanks Jon! I've been using the Swepco 201 in my open R200. Regarding the 200SX LSD....I went to some of the 200SX site and discovered that the 1.8 Litre Turbos came with the R200 LSD. At least the 85 & 86 models did. Thanks again for the quick reply!

Tom

You don't need to register a Quaife diff to get repairs under warranty. Just send it in to Taylor Race Engineering in Plano, TX.

Curious. It says it must be registered within 30 days of purchase for the warranty to be in effect on my paperwork...

Is Taylor doing their own work and just billing it back to Quaife America?