HybridZ

Pulling out door dings with adhesive based spot rivits

Ferd/289

someone mentioned earlier ( I think Racerx) that he uses adhesive to stick spot weld type rivets onto sheet metal dents, then uses slide hammer to pull out as if it were welded on with a spot welder. What is the type of adhesive, and what type of spot weld rivits are used, as I would like to pull out some shalow dings and refinish areas of my car. Clarification will be helpful. :?:

Ferd

Racerx,

Thanks. I am repairing some hail damage which about 3/4's of which could be repaired via paintless dent repair. But I am actually preping the entire car for paint. Three panels are damaged, hood, right quarter and driver door. I want to pull out the shallow dings with the 'adhesive/stud puller method', since I cannot get to them from underheath the metal, and would rather not use a stud welder. Then I will use on 'bare metal', bondo/glazing putty and epoxy primer for the damaged panels. The paint will be done by a professional, but I would like to do the 'prep' work and have the paint shop do the primer/sealer and color finish coats. Anyway, thats my current plan.

Ferd

I have a ding king. I guess in the right hands it works but I have not been too satisfied with it. I have taken out several dings on my Z32 which probably has 22 guage steel ( thin and hard ). The problem I have is when you glue on the plastic stud the ding may or may not come up, but several times the pulling up motion warped the surrounding metal. Especially on the crowned surfaces like hood, door, etc. Naturally this defeats the purpose and makes for more damage than the ding itself. I would not recommend the ding king although I guess there are some uses where it would work.

Ferd