HybridZ

I LOVE TOOLS

denny411

Well I`ve just added a new tool to the arsenal, smile.gif I just picked up a 30 ton hydraulic press. It was only used one time it doesn`t even have a scratch on it. smile.gif I`ve wanted one for years but was always too cheap to fork out the 600-800 that everyone wanted and, my patience finally paid off, 200.00 bucks 2thumbs.gifrockon.gifcheers.gif

Harbor Freight moved into the Atlanta market about 6 months ago, and I only discovered them about a month ago. They have been running sales almost continuously going after Northern's business.

I have put close to a grand in the stuff they have had ON SALE for anywhere from 33 to 50% off!

In the process I learned a trick for getting the spouse to not complain about the money spent, which is probably the best advice/tip I could give to any of you. ;)

I took her for her favorite breakfast/brunch, then went to Harbor Freight. When I got there I gave her 1/2 the ads that I had cut out, showing prices before/sale and explained what they each were for.

After we were through (she had picked up a pair of sissors for herself), I went outside to enjoy the sun and get out of the unairconditioned store (broken). When she came out she said "Boy - we saved a lot of money!" 2thumbs.gif

Now truth be known, I will NEVER understand the female mind, and believe that any man that does is really F*^#&d in the head bonk.gif . I have been married for 19 years and STILL don't have a clue - but I'm gonna try this again!

Whenever possible I try to buy my tools from private individuals. It`s a good way to beat sales tax and I can haggle with them over price.

It`s ammazing how many people buy things that they don`t really need or can`t afford.Then to make matters worse, they try to cut their loses buy selling stuff for whatever they can get out of it.

The guy that I got the press from also has a fresh air supply system complete with the air pump. It supposedly sold new for 700 or 800 bucks but I haven`t had a chance to confirm it.It has never been used and he wants 300 for it.Does anyone know if that`s adeal or not?

If it is,I`ll pick it up after I get back from Ohio next month,Maybe he`ll come down on his price some more by then 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey Denny 411, Last weekend I picked up a Central Hydraulics (1000 # capacity) engine stand for $15.00 (asking price $25.00) The only wear appeared as scuffing on the wheels. I have been passing up engine stands in the $50.00 range for a over a year and this one finally showed for sale on the garage sale grid I ply every Saturday.

Cool deal 2thumbs.gif That reminds me of a garage sale I went to a couple years ago. I wasn`t going to stop because it looked like all little girls clothes.My wife said to stop because she wanted to look,It`s a good thing we did.

I found a transmission scissor jack for 10 bucks. eek2.gif

It had never even been used,in the catalogs they are about 80.00 +shipping. cheers.gif

• 2 years later...
Guest mkokimoto

Wow the engine stand was a good deal! I have a broken engine in my garage (shattered piston, bent valves, head mashed), sitting on a tire.

I actually like going to harbor freight, but I always end up wondering if I really did get a good deal on something that I will probably never really use.

Whenever possible I try to buy my tools from private individuals. It`s a good way to beat sales tax and I can haggle with them over price.

Interesting...thats how I got my "over-engineered" rotisserie.. :wink:

Its working out great by the way Denny :2thumbs:

BTW check your PM's ...got a question for you

Rufus