HybridZ

Hooker mounts

Guest blwnova

Guest blwnova

Has anyone bought the Hooker engine mounts and installed them backwards to put it in aJTR type position?

I'm doing a 260z v8 conversion and i'm debating on what type of conversion to do. I know everybody is going to recommend the JTR style. But is there any pros for the Hooker scarab type kit? I really don't like the part where i will have to move the hoodlatch for distributor clearance.The car is going to be a driver with about 275 realistic HP. No autocrossing or racing, just a fun driver.

I just pulled a set of these of Jim McNemar's car and slipping them around might set the motor back 1/4 inch... These are THE original Scarab mounts and don't do much of anything to set the motor any further back if you flip them...

Mike

Guest Z-rific

I have the Hooker mounts on my 78. The advantages to using the hooker mounts are 1) pretty cheap 2) allows the use of the Hooker Super Comp long headers 3) no latch replacement

Disadvantages are pretty much just that the motor sits higher and more forward. Much debate about the significance of this. It does limit some of the intakes, unless you put a scoop on your hood.

I have the MSA motorsports mounts. It allows and fits use of the hooker long tube Z headers. Engine sits about 3 inches from the heads the firewall. Removal of the stock hood latch braket is requred. MSA also sells a bracket kit to remount this latch. But with the stock hood I can run a 14 x 2 5/8 drop base standard K&N filter with no problems. About an inch plus clearance. If you dont want to cut a hole in your hood this set up works very well.

i have a friend who did this. he slotted the factory motor mount locations (similar to what is done with jtr) to allow the drivetrain to go farther back. it made a big difference with his car, as his hei distributor is very close to the firewall (not as close as with jtr, but pretty darned close). as mentioned before, a stock hood will limit your choice of intakes and air cleaners, but if you're in the 275 hp range, i dont think this will concern you too much. i would, however, still recommend jtr over the hooker/scarab.