HybridZ

Chrome trip around window

zdmz

I installed my windows a couple weeks ago and today I spent some time trying to put in the chrome trim around the window. Getting one side in is easy but getting the other edge under the molding is not an easy task.

I tried a paint can opener because of the hooked edge on it and found it to be dangerous for the paint and the window.

Then I tried a plastic scraper - it worked really well for getting the first edge in but not real well for the other side.

Tried pulling the molding flap up with my fingers and that got to be painful.

Then I tried the weed wacker line like I used to get the windows in and that works ok. It does not get the molding up all the way over the trim piece but if you work it with the plastic scraper and pull on the molding some with your fingers eventually it will go in all the way.

All I got done is one piece of trim along the top of the back window and that took quite a while. Does anyone have a better way to put those trim pieces in???

Are you doing the windshield or back window? If you think the ws is hard try doing the back window. Its a two person job as far as Im concerned. Find a thin hook shaped tool so the tip goes under the edge of the trim and the other edge pushes the rubber away, your friend then needs to push the trim in as you slid the hook tool along the trim. Tip: use lots of spray lube like WD-40. good luck, its hard and takes time but you'll get it. Wish I knew an easier way,.... anyone?

Most installers that I have seen doing glass on Zs install the stainless trim before putting glass into vehicle. Just a bit easier. I know that it is a bit too late for you now; but, for those attempting it themselves in the future, you might try putting it in first.

Are you doing the windshield or back window?

I am starting on the back window.

Find a thin hook shaped tool so the tip goes under the edge of the trim

The paint can opener had a hooked tip but it would slip and hit the paint or the window so I didn't want to use it any more. I could not find anything of a hard plastic to use. And I agree that it would be easier with two people. I will try some WD-40.

Most installers that I have seen doing glass on Zs install the stainless trim before putting glass into vehicle.

This is something I saw debated here a little and thought about it quite a bit. The glass guy that was "supposed" to put this in for me strongly discouraged that idea - he claimed that if anything went wrong it would destroy the trim. After getting the window in I can see why he said that because the molding does a fair amount of moving around before setting into place but I think in hind sight it would probably work that way.

You can install the glass with the chrome already installed. The chrome strips is easier to install in the rubber, if the rubber is warmed up by the sun first. The best way I have learned to install the glass is to attach the rubber gasket to the glass first and then attach the chrome strips. Then wrap some parachute cord (550 cord) or small rope cord around the rubber gasket (between the lip that goes over the frame and the rubber that rests against the outer frame). You, then place one corner into the window frame area. Slowly press down on the area you are working on. Have a buddy, from the inside of the car, slowly pull on the string. Have him watch to make sure the string pulls the lip of the gasket over the frame. You may have to use a screwdriver to help pull any part of the lip over that doesn't make it with the string. Work your way around the glass, make sure to take your time and work slowly. It will work for you. I have done both the front and back windows this way. I learned about this little trick in a autobody course I was taking in Greely, CO. Good Luck, one last word of advise - Don't push to hard on the glass area. You can break the glass if pushing to hard.

I like the look of the trim but I would leave the trim off before I pull the windows out!!! I did put the window in the hatch by myself, but found someone to help with the windshield. Both were fairly difficult but it is much easier with two people.