HybridZ

2.5" or 2.25" intercooler tubing?

pjo046

Hi!

I will have a 1981 280ZXT engine with a t3/T04E hybrid with stage 5 exhaust wheel, 50 trim, 0.63A/R turbine and .50A/R compressor. I have a 26x7x3" spearco intercooler(core size) with 3" outlets, both on the same side. It's like the one on the photo below, exept the the outlets are facing the same way.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=791&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

This means both the intercooler tubes will go through the radiator support on the same side. Also, the TB is 60mm, which is about 2.25" right? And I think the outlet on the hybrid turbo is 2"? Definately not bigger than 2.25". So I was originally thinking about 2.5" plumbing, but is there any point in doing that since the TB and the outlet from the turbo is smaller? Also, if I use 2.25" plumbing it will be easier to fit and to get it through the radiator support. And I'll avoid pressure drop due to too large tubes. Or?

Please give me some input on this. And I've heard the extra money for aluminium tubing isn't worth it? Stick with stainless steel?

Last question here. Since both pipes to the intercooler will go through the same side there won't be room for a cold air intake. Would you route a 3" pipe through on the other side?(let it go straight out from the turbo, bend 90 degrees and go on the inside of the radiator, then bend 90 degrees and go out through the radiator support on the other side and there I'd have a huge conical filter? (Would of course use an electric radiator fan, otherwise this wouldn't work) But will the restriction of this tubing be worth it since I get colder air in, or should I just attach a filter directly to the turbo, thus getting more air in easily, but also it'd be much hotter air.. ??

See if you can tell how I routed my cold intake air. I am not sure you will have the same amount of room in the left front corner of the engine bay though because of the piping layout for your I/C.

Stick with stainless and either diameter is OK for the IC tubes. Without an AFM, you should have plenty of room for a filter either right on the turbo or a setup like mine.

http://www.hvmparts.com/dc/CIA1.jpg

http://www.hvmparts.com/dc/CIA2.jpg

the turbo outlet is 2" and the throttle body at it's narrower section is closer to 2.5". I'm using 2.25" going in (close to outlet size) which also maintains good air velocity, and 2.5" from the intercooler to the TB to match size. 2.25" is certainly good for 350hp and can also manage 400hp without too much restriction to flow.

I also would strongly advise against having the air filter post radiator, sucking hot air, especially in a turbo car will result in signifcant power lose.